Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ID/Crispina  (Read 665 times)

Offline dmay

• Praetorian
ID/Crispina
« on: February 02, 2007, 02:35:22 pm »
I have been trying to locate this reverse.  I know that this looks like a typical Crispina denarius with the IVNO reverse.  It is referenced as Sear 6001, RIC 283 and BMC 41.  However, all the images I have been able to find list Juno standing with a peacock.  However, as you see in the scan, the peacock has flown the coop.  Is there another variant that I am overlooking which does not have the peacock?  Is it possible this a fourree?  It is a very thin coin and light (1.9 gm). 

Thank you for any insight you might provide.

David

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: ID/Crispina
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 02:45:42 pm »
BMC 41 note: "Variant of rev., no peacock, C. 22 (Paris)."

In Reka Devnia hoard:  13 spec. without peacock, 117 with peacock.
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity