Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unknown Constantine  (Read 738 times)

a

Unknown Constantine
« on: January 29, 2007, 11:50:29 am »
Hi all,

The portrait on obverse looks as Constantine I, although the inscription is out of the flan. But I can't recognize the reverse type.

The coin's size is 13mm, weight 1.5g.

Please help me,
Explorer

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Unknown Constantine
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 12:41:35 pm »
It could be a barbarous imitation of the GLORIA ROMANORVM issue (RIC VII.23) featuring Roma enthroned brandishing a long scepter, though her scepter is generally transverse and not vertical as it is here.
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 01:29:41 pm »
This is the SECURITAS REI PUB or REIP issue from Rome, 337-240, issued for Constantius II and Constans, with several different mint marks (RIC VIII Rome 6ff.); rev. type Securitas facing, legs crossed and head turned right, with sceptre and leaning on column.

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 01:38:22 pm »
I think it is Constans Securitas like this one. [DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]
Probably someone beat me to it...

Frans

a

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 01:45:41 pm »
Thanks,

It looks similar. I also think that this is Constans.

Regards,
Explorer

All coins are guaranteed for eternity