Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Can someone explain crystalization in silver coin?  (Read 1608 times)

Offline Scotvs Capitis

• Conservator Princeps
  • Caesar
  • This space intentionally left blank
Can someone explain crystalization in silver coin?
« on: January 25, 2007, 02:39:51 pm »
I've had my eye on a couple of imperial denarii for a long time, the dealer notes that they have crystalization, and is up front about it. They have a slight frostiness but overall look attractive, and for what my budget allows, could fill an important slot in my collection. I am wary though, crystallization can't possibly be good. I have dealt with bronze coins in my uncleaned coin exploits that sometimes seem to have degraded to a granular matrix and become brittle. I discovered this when I dropped a superbly cleaned and nearly perfect Aurelian Antoninianus on the floor once and it shattered into several pieces, breaking my heart in the process. Is silver crystalization a similar phenomenon?

I searched the forum and read what little there was on crystalization, but I'm wondering if there is a better answer, or if I should avoid a crystalized coin altogether.
SCOTVS CAPITIS - Hovstonoplis Tex
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
Re: Can someone explain crystalization in silver coin?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 04:48:58 pm »
Scott - My page might be helpful.  If it isn't, please let me know in what way I can improve it!

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/moonmoth/crystal_coins.html

I haven't seen crystallisation in bronzes, though I have seen a coin with so much leached away that just a light matrix is left.  If you are prepared to relinquish ownership of the pieces of your shattered Aurelian, I would be interested in making an offer.

In a denarius, crystallisation might not be much of a problem.  It will affect the surface appearance, particularly in close-up, but the coin might be fine otherwise.  On the other hand, it might also make the coin very weak and brittle.  I suspect the only way to find this out is a destructive one!
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Scotvs Capitis

• Conservator Princeps
  • Caesar
  • This space intentionally left blank
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 05:18:29 pm »
Thanks! Excellent link, thanks for the investigation. Very thorough. I also enjoyed the Haristyles of the Rich and Famous page and some others. Linked you up to my blogroll as well.

I may go ahead and get one of the two coins I have my eye on, if only to see how severe the crystalization is.
SCOTVS CAPITIS - Hovstonoplis Tex
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 06:00:04 pm »
Thanks.  I have to update my own links page.  There are a lot of sites worth adding.

If you find out anything interesting about the coins, please post it! 

One other thing I can add.  The weakest crystallised coin I have come across was the Sasanian drachm shown on my page.  It broke like a thin biscuit.  That had quite a matt surface effect, more so than other crystallised coins, and seemed slightly off-white.  Perhaps that goes with the weakening.  Or perhaps not .. more data needed ...
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

All coins are guaranteed for eternity