Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help with identifying Ottoman coin  (Read 1208 times)

Brian Farr

Help with identifying Ottoman coin
« on: January 25, 2007, 10:33:09 am »
Hello, I'm new here (and pretty new to coins as well).  I recently picked up some unidentified Ottoman coins - if they are Ottoman that is.  Bought them solely because I liked the look and thought they might add a little variety and contrast to the other coins I've been buying.  Naturally, my curiousity about them perked up and now I'm trying to find out a little more info so I thought I'd try asking the experts on this board...I'm posting a scan of the best of the group.

Any help would be appreciated, Regards

(sorry about the quality of my scan, like I say I'm pretty new to this)

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
Re: Help with identifying Ottoman coin
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 10:59:04 am »
Dear Brian

Your coin is an Ottoman Coin.

Full ID:
Ottoman AE 10 Para Abdulmecid 1255AH regnal year is 20 minted in Qstantaniyye (Istanbul).
It is known to us that 20800000 of this type exist.

Best wishes,
Burak

Brian Farr

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 11:15:07 am »
Thanks Burak for the quick reply...so I can assume that laid side-by-side this issue would reach from here to the moon but would run out halfway through the return journey.  Like I said, I got it because it looks nice...and it does.

regards, Brian

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 11:47:09 am »
Hi Brian

That may be possible.

I know this one looks cool. It was pne of the first types I ever bought when I started out.
Try this rulers 40 Para. Also very nice. However, these modern coins did not do it for me. I like the early Ottoman Empire coins and specialize in the Beylik period.

Best wishes,
Burak

Brian Farr

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 12:29:32 pm »
Hi Again Burak.  I'm in complete agreement with you.  I'm Canadian, a recent country with a short history (apologies to the aboriginal community) and my interest is for the kind of history Canada just can't provide. While this coin looks nice and will probably go into my curiosities pile, a couple of hundred years of history just doesn't satisfy my imagination.   I would far rather have coins from a much earlier period - say before and shortly after the fall of constantinople.  I have some crusader coins and want to put a little balance into my collection.  You seem like the man to ask, given that I don't have a huge budget and my interest is more in simply owning some small pieces of history rather than acquiring items of value, have you any suggestions as to what I might look for?

Regards, brian

All coins are guaranteed for eternity