Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New fake seller warning  (Read 3615 times)

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
New fake seller warning
« on: January 25, 2007, 04:59:57 am »
I have been watching the offerings of this ebay seller for a little while and have finally come to the conclusion that they are selling some of the deceptive casts that we saw come on to the market last year that were identified by postvmvs. The coins on offer rang alarm bells with me from the initial offerings but I know have the evidemce to back it up. This should act as a warning to all buyers that this seller is placing fakes on the market, so beware!

I am naming the seller as I believe that he is knowingly placing fakes on the market. Seller is "batibaleno".

[link removed by ADMIN]

Here are some examples of the current offerings and the known fakes for comparison. I am logging all offerings from this person and will log fake reports as I find matches and for other coins that I may want to question I will raise individual questions.

Some of the coins that I know are fakes so far are shown below:-

Regards,
Martin

Offline maridvnvm

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Re: New fake seller warning
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 05:11:26 am »
Julia Domna denarius, MONETA AVG (One I know well!)

Fake report example:-

New example:-

Offline maridvnvm

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 05:18:39 am »
Septimius Severus Denarius, Minerva

Existing fakes report:-

New example:-

Fake reports have already been created for these two.
Regards,
Martin

Offline Edessa

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 06:55:32 am »
Also deceptive business practices: private auctions and the advertising of Roman Republican denarii as being from "The Civil Wars (AD 68 to 69)" and listing the reigns of Galba, Otho and Vitellius.  Based on the variety of coins being handled by this seller, he/she certainly knows better than this. 

I also agree that the coins look as if they are cast.

Eugene
Eugene

Offline maridvnvm

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 10:15:16 am »
It would appear that there are quite a few types that we have not recorded before included in the offerings from this seller. I have already added the coins that we already have examples of in the fake reports and have included a link in the report to the other examples. There is a cast coin of Sabina that I have found the host coin for, which was a known fake. I will let people know when I have finished adding the reports as it would be beneficial for people to familiarise themselves with these fakes. They probably wouldn't fool the more experienced members but could prove quite dangerous to those of use with less experience, which includes me (admitting that I was caught by an example of the Julia Domna above last year).
Regards,
Martin

Scipio Helveticus

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 10:27:20 am »
Cast indeed! They look like they are coming off a production line. Good call here Martin. Such pictures are indeed usefull as otherwise I'd be duped! Will be avoiding this brigand in the future.

Offline maridvnvm

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 06:18:17 pm »
I have just finished adding their offerings (66 coins in all) to the fake reports. They are a mixture of Roman Imperial, Republican and Greek. I would recommend that people look at them to know what they look like so that they can be avoided. My biggest worry is that some of these coins will be bought and then make their way onto the market in ones and twos in the future where they will be more difficult to spot.
Regards,
Martin

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 06:24:16 pm »
Thanks a lot Martin!

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

AOTAntiques

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 11:03:34 pm »
Wow, well done Martin!

Yes, I can imagine quite a few will make it out and be trouble later...

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 01:33:51 pm »

Offline Gilgamesh

• Consul
  • I came, I saw, I'm still looking.
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 08:17:33 pm »
No one mentioned it so in case it wasn't noticed - all seven Roman Republicans are well known modern fakes. The others aren't my area of knowledge but it appears that this dealer may not be offering a single genuine item.
Every day I know less and less about more and more. Soon I expect to know nothing about everything.

Offline maridvnvm

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007, 05:30:47 pm »
It seems that I have another 17 of these cast fakes to upload now.
Regards,
Martin

Offline Gilgamesh

• Consul
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2007, 08:54:30 pm »
I emailed the seller yesterday informing him the seven republican pieces are fake. No reply. I advised e-bay and got the usual computer generated reply. I don't expect there to be any action taken. I will watch these lots and if they sell will speak to our federal police. Quite fed up with all these fakes and ebay doing nothing.
Every day I know less and less about more and more. Soon I expect to know nothing about everything.

Offline Gilgamesh

• Consul
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 01:17:05 am »
 ??? batibaleno is still selling his fakes and has added several new Roman Republican fakes since the last post. I have reported each one to eBay but still do not expect any action. I have been informed that the coins may be assessed by ANS and if found fake they may:
 1. Send the seller an informational alert;
 2. Remove the listing; or
 3. Suspend the seller.

I have also asked eBay if they will see that the people defrauded get restitution but have received no comment nor expect any. It will be interesting if batibaleno is still in business in a week or so. I will be surprised if he isn't. This is his fourth name since November 2005.

I.D's
purelabelextra Nov-12-05 to Dec-16-05, durostoruim  Dec-16-05 to Jan-22-06, vuldium Jan-22-06 to Jul-27-06, batibaleno Jul-27-06 to Present. Looks like he is about due for a name change.

I have also lodged a formal complaint against eBay with the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) which oversees our Trade Practices Act. I will await a response to that complaint before deciding what comes next. Main text of complaint is below.

"I wish to enquire if it is against the Trade Practices Act (or other appropriate Australian law) for a company registered in Australia as well as internationally to offer fake or counterfeit goods via their website to australian customers. I would also like to know if any law is breached if the company has been informed of the existence of countefeit or fake goods and then allows the sale of such items. Thirdly, is any australian law breached if the company takes no action to warn or effect restitution to the defrauded customer?"

Offline Cleisthenes

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • "not unlike a clamberer on a steep cliff," Newman
    • Swimmin' Lessons
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007, 07:53:35 am »
Martin (and everyone who has contributed to this thread),

Thank you for the "heads-up" (American slang for "warning") :).

Cheers, Jim
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Nullum Gratuitum Prandium!
"Flamma fumo est proxima!"--Plautus
 :Chi-Rho:

Offline maridvnvm

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2007, 08:44:37 am »
Just to let you all know. I haven't finished yet! There are still new types that we haven't recorded yet, types that match some already recorded and some new images of coins that he has sold once and is selling again.
Keep watching.
Regards,
Martin

Offline Gilgamesh

• Consul
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2007, 09:58:14 pm »
 ::) Three new positive Roman Republic fakes offered by batibaleno. The piso piece is not posted on the Fakes board here yet but is on the Forgery Network.

[link removed by ADMIN]

I have reported the items to eBay.

Offline Gilgamesh

• Consul
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2007, 09:59:17 pm »
The third piece.

Offline maridvnvm

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2007, 04:33:43 am »
I am saving all the items offered for sale by this person to disk and uploading them in batches. I have these three in the next batch (including the coins above) ready to go up today.
Regards,
Martin

Offline newone

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2007, 08:25:09 am »
I'm very glad I saw this post - the Vitellius looked to be authentic in my mind and I actually have it on my Watch list. Thanks for the warning.      Russ
May our troops return home safely.........only through their bravery, dedication and diligence are we able to freely post on this site.

Offline maridvnvm

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2007, 10:29:02 am »
I am creating threads that illustrate the variety of fakes that this seller is bringing to the market. I have started with a Roman Imperial thread, emperor by emperor:-

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=34912.0

I intend to add new types as they appear but do not intend to include duplicate images though these will all be added to the fake reports.

Fake reports have been created for all the coins displayed. I hope people find them useful. If not then they will be easy enough to delete.

Regards,
Martin

Offline newone

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2007, 08:48:52 pm »
Hi Martin - I have to tell you how surprised I was when I saw the Vitellius image on the Fakes gallery. I had my suspicions w/ alot of the coins he was listing but figured that the Vitellius was a real one he threw in to make it all seem legit. Needless to say I have deleted it from my Watch list. You are certainly correct in calling it a dangerous copy - it certainly does look real! Thanks again.    Russ
May our troops return home safely.........only through their bravery, dedication and diligence are we able to freely post on this site.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity