Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Is this BD?  (Read 1311 times)

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Is this BD?
« on: January 24, 2007, 09:20:42 am »
I have just been updating some photos of coins in my collection and have what looks like BD developing on one of them. This is one of my nicer coins and the first time I have ever noticed anything like BD in my collection. So my simple question is:-
Is this BD?
Regards,
Martin

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Is this BD?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 09:34:05 am »
I'm sure it is.
Andreas Reich

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 09:39:35 am »
Unfortunately, so am I, and I have never seen it there before. It is one of my prize coins, so I will have to learn how to treat it. I know the process has been discussed here many times so I will have to find it!
Aarrggghhh!
Martin

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 09:54:51 am »
Here is an image of the coin from last year some time and there was no sign of it then:-

Regards,
Martin

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 10:05:49 am »
Sometimes it is not visible in hand, but shows up quite clearly in a scan. The bd on your coin you could just brush off. Unfortunately I have never been able to treat BD, even with the quite clear instruction found here.
The only thing that happened was that some coins got ugly red corrosion from the distilled water.
Andreas Reich

Offline awl

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 10:28:27 am »
Try heating it.

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 02:10:47 pm »
The chances are that the coin has corroded invisibly beyond the area you can see green encrustation on.  If you boil it in a mix of sodium carbonate and bicarbonate, it will remove the BD and probably leave hollow areas with a soft red deposit which will brush off.  This is painful to see, but as far as I have been able to discover, the best way to go to prevent more corrosion.  Of course, it's your decision.
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

All coins are guaranteed for eternity