Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Medieval Armenian Baronial Coins  (Read 3292 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Medieval Armenian Baronial Coins
« on: September 26, 2005, 07:07:41 am »
Hello all,

Now that the busy summer is officially over, I am getting back to my coins.  I attended a recent local coin show and was offered an Ae  from the Baronial period of Armenia.  It was ex Slocum Collection.  I have seen several later trams/drams and kardez offered from this collection.  Does anyone know about the history of the collection.  Levon?

I hope to be back on the boards with high frequency. 

pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline lv88

• Consul
    • Armenian Numismatic Page
Re: Medieval Armenian Baronial Coins
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 12:27:32 pm »
Hello, and welcome back!

Well, the Slocum collection is briefly mentioned in Coinage of Cilician Armenia; Bedoukian refers to a baronial copper of Baron Toros in the corpus from the collection of John Slocum. I assume this may be the one. His collection is not one of the greatest, nor insignificant.

Baronials in themselves, are not extremely rare, and I look down upon them. They are for the most part undesirable and too much of a strain on my budget. I have recently seen 3 baronials come by me:

2 Roupen I AE 200-250
1 Levon II AE 280(In a lot of 18 unidentified cilician armenian coppers)

I did not purchase the Roupens because they werent appealing and too much. The Levon II I hesitated on, and next I saw it, it was sold. But then again, I think it is too expensive.

Tell me more about this baronial of yours.

Best,
Levon

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 07:48:28 am »
I was offered what must have been the baronial copper mentioned by Bedoukian for around $330, but I let it pass as it was not an attractive coin for the price (Given my small budget). 

I have decided to only purchase exceptional Cilician Armenian coins until I get the 40 plus (21 in a lot from Turkey)  uncatalogued incorporated into my collection.  I have been sidetracked by some nice early Greek I have acquired. 

Levon, what have you added to your collection lately?
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline lv88

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 11:09:49 am »
Could you please provide me contact info for this seller(lease send me a PM I am interested in the  baronial copper coin.)

Well, check out my gallery to see some recent aquisitions:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=11106

Some of the coins I  I have gotten are:

Levon I Half Double Dram
Hetoum I Bilingual(You saw this)
Smbat Dram
Levon V Billon/Pogh

(It was quite a spending spree for me this summer)

I have also passed up numerous coins, ranging from baronial coppers, Hetoum II billons, etc ...

I have also sent payment for two takvorins of Levon the Usurper, and three unidentified coppers. I have not gotten the coins, so, waiting for them.

Regards,
Levon

P.S. What have you gotten? :)

Armand304

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 03:59:38 am »
Did my eyes deceive me or did i read it right?...."declined a Baronial coin because it was unappealing"!!??....what a pity.... i sure hope i am wrong and there will be lots and lots of these scarce coins surfacing.....but until that happens, i consider it opportunity lost to own these most desirable coins, regardless of their "appeal"...  ???

Offline lv88

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 10:58:17 am »
Barev Armen,

Well baronials are definetly rare,  but there are other factors affecting price and desirability. If you compare a Tigranes Tet to a baronial, a Tet is less rare but more appealing, and attains higher prices. While, I agree, that Roupen was no brainer, I did not want to spent all of my budget on it.

This is probably opinion based if a person wants a baronial: appeal, rarity, price ...

They are quite rare, and all are unique, but I get scared from buying something that is not attractive, and costs much. I have just obtained the Prices Realized from CNG 36, and all baronials there realized under 500$. I was actually surprised at how little they realized. As I was reviewing baronials, and sold pr's I would like to share some opinions:

Roupen I AE = These are the second most numerous types of baronial. They are the least attractive type. As an additional note these are the second coins to bear the Armenian language, and first Cilician Armenian coins. Prices greatly vary from $200-800.

Toros I, Toros II = These are rarer varieties, and unique designs. However, they are poor in design and preservation. Prices are probably under $500 even today.

Roupen II = These are they rarest of all baronial types, and have a very interesting, appealing, and unique design. Prices in my opinion would be in the $500 range.

Levon II = The most numerous type of all the baronials. They are fairly attractive and interesting. Perhaps this and Roupen II are the two most attractive of the baronial types. Prices are in the 150-200 dollar range for these. An individual mentioned to me he purchased one for $160 - I think it is quite a bargain.

What are your thoughts guys?

Best,
Levon

P.S. Hope you get your Roupen soon ;D.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity