Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: coin id  (Read 1858 times)

parkca

coin id
« on: January 18, 2007, 09:13:57 am »
Ya im new and not to good with old coins yet.This is one of two coins i need a little help with.I think it's greek,any one have a comment? Thanks,Park.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: coin id
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 09:31:26 am »
It looks Ptolemaic to me (as in from the Ptolemaic kingdom, that was in Egypt) but these are hard to identify for non-experts.
Please give at least the size and, if possible, the weight of the coin.
Andreas Reich

parkca

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 10:19:58 am »
The coin is 15mm and 2.4 grams, I think it's bronze,as you can see it is not clean ,i think there are some sort of letters on the reverse but i can't read them yet, thank you so much for your reply.

Offline Dapsul

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 02:46:16 pm »
The letters should be BASILEWS PTOLEMAIOY, "of king Ptolemaios". Which one? I'm not an expert for those. It would be better to put identifiation requests on the "Identification help" board.

Best - Frank

parkca

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 05:53:23 pm »
Yes,posting on the right board would be a very good idea,thanks and sorry,im new. :-[

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 11:42:34 pm »
There appears to be a club in front of the eagle.  If that is so, the mint is Tyre.   Can you post a larger and clearer picture of the reverse (eagle side)?

parkca

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 09:45:12 am »
Yes there is a club in front of the eagle,it has four dots(two on each side of the club).The eagle seems to have head gear,mabye a helmet?The lettering a can't read,just to durty.

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 07:21:42 am »
At 15 mm, closed wing eagle, with club, most likely this is Ptolemy II, minted at Tyre.  I don't have the time to look right now in my references, but I am fairly certain it is Ptolemy II.  Is there any letter between the eagle's legs?

As for the helmet, there is none.  That is just how they engraved the eagle's head.

parkca

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 12:30:07 pm »
Hi Howard,yes there is the letter (m) between the legs,there could be more but it is still a little durty at the bottom,i have found some coins like it and im sure it is ptolemyII,zeus ammon,but this is my first greek coin ID so it could be a george bush for all i know about coins.thanks for your time,Park.

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 03:34:13 pm »
What you see as an M, I think is the tie for the tunderbolt that the eagle is holding.  An M is not one of the possibilities since that would be year 40 of Ptolemy's reign. 

When I have a chance I will take a look in my references, maybe later tonight.

parkca

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 10:32:56 am »
I have double checked and i don't see any letter between the legs,just the m shaped mark on the thunder bolt.Im going to soak it  so i can read the lettering,mabye that will tell me more.Thanks,Park.

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 03:22:37 pm »
No letter between the legs is fine.  There is a variety without a letter there.  When I get home tonight from work, I will try to look the coin up in Svoronos.

parkca

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 11:30:28 am »
You guys realy know your stuff,Dapsul had the letters right before the coin was even clean.Howard Cole is second to none when it comes to info on coins.Many thanks to both of you.Now that i know what it is i will be doing more research on this coin.I will post my second coin on the ID help board.Park.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity