Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: AMNG and coins of Tyra  (Read 1334 times)

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
AMNG and coins of Tyra
« on: May 20, 2017, 08:58:26 pm »
The online version/pdf of AMNG 1,1 (on archive.org, for example) by Behrend Pick shows coins of Tyra, Thrace on plates XII and XIII but I cannot find any pages in AMNG I.I or AMNG I,II which give information about the illustrated coins.
Can someone tell me which pages that the information to the Tyra coins is on and, if they are after the Nikopolis, Moesia section (at which point the pdf ends), tell me where I can get the pdf of the missing section ?

Offline OldMoney

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • My Site! www.oldmoney.com.au
    • Walter Holt's Old Money
Re: AMNG and coins of Tyra
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 01:24:11 am »
Hi Dane,
Is this what you want?
Or is there something more that you need?

Walter

Attached: AMNG I pp.917-18 and 919-20.
Coins of Ephesus
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/ephesuscoins
Walter Holt's Old Money - Ancient Coins
https://www.oldmoney.com.au
Sydney, Australia

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 08:39:52 am »
Aha.... thanks Walter. I see he wrote that the Royal Scientific Academy "gave" the catalogue that Pick had planned for the AMNG volume, to go together with the Grand Duke Michailovitsch collection. Pick says that seeing as the plate illustrations had already been done he is adding them to AMNG.
So seeing that the Grand Duke Michailovitsch collection has only (as far as I can determine) been published in bits and bobs, it looks like I will have to rely on Grimm, Frovola and a couple of other pdfs that I have for the Tyra coins. (I haven't been able to find a copy of Zograph).

I am working on a translation of Bernhart's 1949 Dionysos catalog - there are so many errors in the original work and I have added over 400 additions amongst his own first 400, so his number 420 is my number 900 ! He lists a Tyra coin of Caracalla in the wrong section and the same for a coin of Commodus. (i.e. he got Dionysos' clothing type wrong). So if anyone with Zograph could scan the pages and plates of Caracalla and Commodus each with Dionysos on the reverse (there should be different types: naked with panther, short chiton with and without panther, perhaps long robe with or without panther...) I would be very grateful.

Thanks for taking the time, Walter !!

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 12:52:35 pm »
It would appear from the explanation in AMNG that Berlin ceded all Tyra materials to the Grand Duke, on the understanding that he would undertake the publication of that section of the catalogue.

But the Grand Duke was never able to publish the catalogue, doubtless partly at least because of the intervention of the First World War and the Russian Revolution.
Curtis Clay

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 05:06:13 pm »
I know that some parts of the Grand Duke's collection were at least compiled, as Julie Dalaison used many of the references for her work in SNG France VII, but I don't think they were actually published and offered to the public. It is such a pity, because his coins are so often referred to, yet all I have been able to find so far are a couple of very short works, e.g. e.g. the Naville 1922 sale of coins of the Grand Duke, Sir Arthur Evans  and other (unnamed) collectors, but the coins sold in that auction were only gold, silver and electrum, no bronzes.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity