Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ID help for Antoninus Pius As  (Read 860 times)

Offline saholz

• Consul
ID help for Antoninus Pius As
« on: January 15, 2007, 09:49:34 am »
This is a 26.1mm, 6.41gr As of Antoninus Pius.  "PIVS" is visible on the obverse and his portrait is easily recognizable.  The reverse, however, has me stumped.  I think it's "IMPERATOR" based on what I think is "IMPER....", but the left standing female figure is one I can't identify.  She has her right arm raised with drapery (?) hanging from it, and her lowered left arm appears to be resting on a column or altar.  S-C is clearly visible.  I have gone through my ERIC and Van Meter books, and searched both Wildwinds and Coin Archives, but have been unable to find a match for this coin.

Any help in identifying this coin would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Stan

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
Re: ID help for Antoninus Pius As
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 09:59:33 am »
That is Spes holding a flower in right and raising skirt with left hand, IMPERATOR II / S - C, RIC III, 730. The obverse legend is ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P TR P COS III, the date is 143-144 AD.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline saholz

• Consul
Re: ID help for Antoninus Pius As
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 10:02:46 am »
Wow, that was fast!  Thanks for the help in attributing this coin.

Stan

All coins are guaranteed for eternity