Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Extraordinary Portraits of the Tetrici  (Read 1097 times)

Offline S.Sondermann

• Praetorian
    • Sondermann-Numismatics
Extraordinary Portraits of the Tetrici
« on: January 14, 2007, 12:14:06 pm »
Here my newest additions to my collection, three antoniniani of Tetricus I and Tetricus II with exceptional portraits.

Tetricus I Antoninianus
Obv: IMP TETRICVS P F AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust right.
Rev: HILARITAS AVGG, Hilaritas standing left, holding long vertical branch in right hand and cornucopiae in left hand.

Elmer 789, Cunetio 2648, RIC 80, AGK 4c.

Tetricus I Antoninianus.
Obv: IMP TETRICVS P F AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust right.
Rev: FIDES MILITVM, Fides standing left, holding vertical standard in each hand.

Elmer 784, Cunetio 2638, RIC 70, AGK 3f.

Tetricus II Antoninianus.
Obv: C PIV ESV TETRICVS CAES, radiate and cuirassed bust right.
Rev: SPES AVGG, Pietas veiled, standing left, with right hand sacrificing over small altar on ground to left, and holding Pyxis.in left hand.

Elmer 791, Cunetio 2654, RIC 270, AGK 9a.

regards
Sebastian
http://www.Gallic-Empire.com - Website about Gallic Empire Coinage and History.

gavignano

Re: Extraordinary Portraits of the Tetrici
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 07:35:27 pm »
These are nice. The Tetricus II reverse seems barbarous in its crude nature, but the obverse is an exceptionally nice portrait, so it seems more likely "official." Joe

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 02:37:50 am »
To be honest, the coins are very good but "extraordinary" seems to be an exaggeration.
The artistic quality of many coins of these emperors, indeed, merits to be appreciated.
The problem is that due to  shortage om metal  it is difficult to find a good specimen.
We discussed already some portrait of Tetricus II. I am back with a better pic of the
portrait I like most of all.  It features a teenager rather  than a usual angel-looking child.
The schematical representation of the drapery does not distract attention from the face
with an enigmatic smile.

Offline S.Sondermann

• Praetorian
    • Sondermann-Numismatics
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 03:24:04 am »
The Tetricus II is not  barbarous, the reverse is struck from a worn die. That may cause a "crude" look.

The Portraits are not only well preserved, they are from an unusual good style. A comparison with the aureus portraits of the tetrici, shows many similarities.
For Tetricus II Schulte obverse 2
Tetricus I, FIDES MILITVM, Schulte obverse 10,
Tetricus I, HILARITAS AVG, Schulte obverse 44.

that doesen't mean, that these are die-links, but I'm sure, that very skilled die engravers did their work on these portraits. You have to look through many antoniniani, to filter out such specimens.

regards
Sebastian
http://www.Gallic-Empire.com - Website about Gallic Empire Coinage and History.

Offline gb29400

• Caesar
  • Your life is what your thoughts make it ! M.Aurel
    • GbCollection
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 08:58:22 am »
Hi,

have a look to the Tetricus II, I posted for a while in the Master Portrait Gallery.

link: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-12532

Regards
Guy

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 09:11:32 am »
Personally, I especially like the portrait on Sebastian's first Tetricus.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

All coins are guaranteed for eternity