Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Mahmud II  (Read 1271 times)

kameleon

Mahmud II
« on: December 24, 2006, 09:54:31 pm »
Firs coin is 1223AH Mahmud II 3 year  1/4 zeri, and secon one is 1223AH Mahmud II 31 probably again 1/4 zeri.
Can you tell me where did they minted? And I m interested in second coin, there are minted small marks on the coin what are they mean?

kameleon

Re: Mahmud II
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 09:56:05 pm »
And second one...

kameleon

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 09:56:42 pm »
Marks...

Manzikert

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 05:29:08 pm »
Hi

Both coins were struck in Istanbul (constantinyeh). The marks are modern hallmarks, but I don't know where from: I only have a book on silver marks, not gold.

Best wishes

Alan

mernumis

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 12:36:07 pm »
Ufortunatelly the second coin is a forgery...These coins were made for jewellery purposes... The hallmark you see is the jewellery makers halmark. You can research the coin in detail from www.osmanliparalari.com or zeno.ru
and also a real copy from my collection is below... Happy new year, Frank.

Sultani

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 01:20:39 am »
As Mernumis reported, the coin is made for jewellery purpose. This kind of fake coins are called "penez". You can see some more sample here

http://www.osmanliparalari.com/yazi/penez/penezTR1.htm

I will publish english translation within a week.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity