Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Mahmud II  (Read 1263 times)

kameleon

Mahmud II
« on: December 24, 2006, 09:54:31 pm »
Firs coin is 1223AH Mahmud II 3 year  1/4 zeri, and secon one is 1223AH Mahmud II 31 probably again 1/4 zeri.
Can you tell me where did they minted? And I m interested in second coin, there are minted small marks on the coin what are they mean?

kameleon

Re: Mahmud II
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 09:56:05 pm »
And second one...

kameleon

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 09:56:42 pm »
Marks...

Manzikert

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 05:29:08 pm »
Hi

Both coins were struck in Istanbul (constantinyeh). The marks are modern hallmarks, but I don't know where from: I only have a book on silver marks, not gold.

Best wishes

Alan

mernumis

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 12:36:07 pm »
Ufortunatelly the second coin is a forgery...These coins were made for jewellery purposes... The hallmark you see is the jewellery makers halmark. You can research the coin in detail from www.osmanliparalari.com or zeno.ru
and also a real copy from my collection is below... Happy new year, Frank.

Sultani

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 01:20:39 am »
As Mernumis reported, the coin is made for jewellery purpose. This kind of fake coins are called "penez". You can see some more sample here

http://www.osmanliparalari.com/yazi/penez/penezTR1.htm

I will publish english translation within a week.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity