Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderators: AlexB, quadrans)  |  Topic: Mahmud II 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mahmud II  (Read 880 times)
kameleon
« on: December 24, 2006, 07:54:31 pm »

Firs coin is 1223AH Mahmud II 3 year  1/4 zeri, and secon one is 1223AH Mahmud II 31 probably again 1/4 zeri.
Can you tell me where did they minted? And I m interested in second coin, there are minted small marks on the coin what are they mean?
kameleon
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 07:56:05 pm »

And second one...
kameleon
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 07:56:42 pm »

Marks...
Manzikert
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 03:29:08 pm »

Hi

Both coins were struck in Istanbul (constantinyeh). The marks are modern hallmarks, but I don't know where from: I only have a book on silver marks, not gold.

Best wishes

Alan
mernumis
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 10:36:07 am »

Ufortunatelly the second coin is a forgery...These coins were made for jewellery purposes... The hallmark you see is the jewellery makers halmark. You can research the coin in detail from www.osmanliparalari.com or zeno.ru
and also a real copy from my collection is below... Happy new year, Frank.
Sultani
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 11:20:39 pm »

As Mernumis reported, the coin is made for jewellery purpose. This kind of fake coins are called "penez". You can see some more sample here

http://www.osmanliparalari.com/yazi/penez/penezTR1.htm

I will publish english translation within a week.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderators: AlexB, quadrans)  |  Topic: Mahmud II « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop