Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Crusader imitative bezant  (Read 1191 times)

Bernard Jones

Crusader imitative bezant
« on: December 22, 2006, 07:14:44 am »
Hello all,

I have the following coin on order from Pegasi Numismatics.  It was listed as being CCS 5b, but this is clearly incorrect: the mint mark on the obverse is missing, and the reverse is all wrong.  It is a blundered copy of al Mansur, and therefore of the Latin Kingdom, but beyond that I am all at sea; I cannot read Arabic at all.  Can anyone help me?

Thank you, and Merry Christmas!

Bernard Jones

Manzikert

Re: Crusader imitative bezant
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 06:01:49 pm »
Hi

I'm sorry, but this is not crusader: it is an Abbasid dinar, of al-Aziz Uthman (589-595 H/ 1193-1198 AD), probably struck in Cairo, as Balog 184-190, or Alexandria (Balog 191-193a).

Due to the double striking on the reverse (left hand image) I can't confirm the date or mint, but Uthman's name is clear in the centre of the obverse (right hand image). The double striking also makes it difficult to be sure, but it doesn't look at all blundered: what I can read matches Balog.

Best wishes

Alan

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 11:05:22 am »
Hi;
 I guess there is confusion,this coin is Ayyubid coin and not Abbasid,and here the full description
Al Aziz Imad al din Abu al Fateh Uthman ibn youssef;589-595 H-1193-1198 AD.
Obv-in the center;Al Imam Ahmad
inner marginal legend-Abu l'Abbas Al Nasir li din Allah Amir Al mumi'nin
external marginal legend:mint name and date[out of flan]
Rev:in the center:Uthman bin Youssef
inner marginal legend: Aal Al Malek Ghaya Al Aziz.

Outer external legend:Kalima and Surat 9:33

Regards.
nassif

Ref:W.KAZAN Collection of Islamic coins-No 643

Manzikert

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 05:06:46 pm »
Hi Bernard, Nassif

OOPS! sorry, I did this late at night, and Nassif is quite right, I typed Abbasid rather than the correct Ayyubid.

The catalogue reference I gave is of course to Balog's 'The coinage of the AYYUBIDS'.

Best wishes

Alan

All coins are guaranteed for eternity