Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Just a nice story  (Read 988 times)

Offline Frans Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
Just a nice story
« on: December 02, 2006, 11:10:25 am »
The part of the province of Noord-Holland, where I live is called "West-Friesland" and used to be part of the lands the Frisians lived in Roman Times. Frisian culture was replaced by Saxon culture, but the names of Friesland and Wes-Friesland remained. In Charlemagne's time everything was part of his empire, but after that it was supposed to be part of the Holy Roman Empire, of which the German lands were the most important. In those days the local nobles of the province of Holland consisered themselves to be the vassals of the Holy Roman Emperor and held the lands in his name as Counts of Holland. The part which was still called West-Friesland, did, however, not belong to their jurisdiction, although they claimed that to be a fact. It resulted in war which took the form of a guerilla. Surprise-attacks and looting of towns, revenge because of...etc.
To add insult to injury, Holland and West-Friesland suffered from severe flooding in those days. The Westfrisians had meanwhile made some low dikes and higher dwelling-mounds to be safe from water, especially during the wet season. Just outside my hometown Schagen, there is one of the biggest mounds, rising nearly three meters above the surrounding lands. In 1892, a farmer, who was digging a whole in the mound, discovered a leather pouch containg nearly 1200 small silver coins. Having informed the Major of Schagen, the hoard was taken to the Royal Dutch Coin Cabinet in The Hague. The coins were cleaned and appeared all to be the same! A so far unknown type, issued probably in West friesland by someone using the effigy of a bishop on the obverse and a simple cross on the reverse. No coin revealed any legible legend if present at all.
The farmer who discovered the hoard, was given a single coin as a memento......
In the late '70s when I gave a lecture on archeology in my home town, an old lady addressed to me and told me that she was the granddaughter of the farmer who found the hoard, and that she still had that one coin apart from the 1200-1 that still reside at the Royal Coin Cabinet. That information was very nice, but the old woman would never part with the coin.

Years later I received a catalogue of a Dutch coin dealer in which I saw this coin: I called her immediately and was the first customer that day.. Later she told me she could have sold the coin ten times...
Yet, I have it, here in Schagen, where it had been buried for some 900 years. And up to this day, it is the only example on the market.

Frans

Offline dpaul7

• Consul
  • Acta est fabula, plaudite!
    • FORVM GALLERIES
Re: Just a nice story
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 11:33:39 am »
 :) Thanks for a wonderful story!  It really brightened my day!  I am glad you got the coin, and was able to post it here for all of us to see! 

Many thanks!

dpaul7
Age. Fac ut gaudeam.
Aliena nobis, nostra plus aliis placent
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=17252

All coins are guaranteed for eternity