Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ottoman Abdülaziz 1277. Is it a fake ?  (Read 1215 times)

lbavay

Ottoman Abdülaziz 1277. Is it a fake ?
« on: December 01, 2006, 05:05:45 pm »
One more question about a coin found in Luxor (Sheikh abd el-Gourna).
If I am correct, it is an Ottoman Abdülaziz 1277/8. Nothing very exceptional. However, we found three more of the same type, and this one shows some peculiarities.
When compared with many other examples of the series of Abdülaziz' Para (www.osmanliparalari.com), the writing of the word "misr" is different than on any other I could see (end of the word is very angular and does not bent upwards). Also the Darebe looks different. And the dots of the circle around the edge are very prominent.
Is it simply a variant, or could it be a fals ? (I can add that, if a false, it is not modern since the object was found during regular excavations).
Many thanks for any help or opinion

Laurent Bavay
Director of the University of Brussels archaeological mission in the Theban necropolis

PS : the photograph is not good, sorry for that. Unfortunately, the object is in a storeroom in Luxor, and I will not have access to it until next January.

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
Re: Ottoman Abdülaziz 1277. Is it a fake ?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 05:57:24 pm »
Dear Laurant

Eventhough it is difficult to see this from the image I am very certain that this is a contemporary forgery. The disrupted script and the low standard of metal are all indications towards it. Moreover the sanat reads 2277AH.

It is a forgery of the 1277AH r.y.8 20 or 10 Kurush which is silver. If you closey look underneath the Tugra you may see if it is "20" or "10" Kurush. If not you can determin it by size 16mm for 20 Kurush (also known as Qirsh for Egypt) or 13mm for 10 Kurush

Best wishes,
burak

lbavay

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 02:44:52 am »
Thank you for your help again, dear Burak ! You are confirming my impression.
Is it frequent to have such forgeries ?

Best regards,

Laurent Bavay

Edit : I should check in Ölcer Cüneyt's book on the coinage of Abdülaziz, but I can't find a library in Brussels possessing it (after checking online catalogues)

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 10:09:10 am »
Hi Laurent

Well yes, later Ottoman coins (so to speak the last 7 Sultans) were forged a lot. Not only for financial reasons but also as jewelary and all sorts of decorative reasons.

The book you are looking for can be found for very cheaply on Ebay. There is always a copy around.

Best wishes,
Burak

lbavay

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 05:49:46 am »
Dear Burak,
Just as for my other post, I thank you very much for these precisions. I feel even more indebted for your help that, indeed, I should find these infos in the litterature you indicate in you Guide thread. Well, as I said already, Ottoman coinage is not really my speciality and I have some difficulty to find appropriate libraries. Just to say, you saved me a lot of time researching, and I appreciate very much.
Thanks again, and best regards,

Laurent

All coins are guaranteed for eternity