Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Alp Arslan?  (Read 1109 times)

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Alp Arslan?
« on: November 28, 2006, 05:50:31 pm »
This gold coin is being sold as Alp Arslan, but the style looks more Umayyad or Abassid to me, can anyone ID it? And perhaps give a thought to its authenticity.
                                                                         LordBest. 8)

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
Re: Alp Arslan?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 06:52:44 am »
Hi LordBest

It does look Umayyad, Abbasid or Sammanid, but it is of the Great Seljuks and it is of Alp Arslan (Aslan).
The Great Seljuq Empire are Turks that ruled Persia and the Jazira during this time.

The mint looks like Merv, but I am not too sure as I am not very familiar with this coinage.

Best wishes,
Burak

All coins are guaranteed for eternity