Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Clashed Die  (Read 2158 times)

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Clashed Die
« on: November 23, 2006, 04:48:27 pm »
I've been puzzling over this one for a couple of weeks, and I finally twigged it today. There's an obvious overstrike on the left side of the reverse, but I couldn't work out what it was till I spotted the faint incuse outline of the face upside-down just to the right of the trophy. It appears to be a brockage which has been overstruck with the reverse die. If this is evidence of quality control in operation within Gothicus' mint, then that's quite a surprise!
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
Clashed Die
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 05:06:10 pm »
This results from a clashed die rather than from on overstruck brockage. A clashed die originates when there's no blank between the dies, so the reverse die gets an impression of the obverse die. All following coins thus show the same incuse impression of the obverse. Either the error wasn't noticed (which would argue against a quality control!) or there simply was no time to replace the die.

Here are two coins showing the a similar incuse, a Saloninus and another Claudius II:

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Clashed Die
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 05:53:03 pm »
Thanks; I hadn't thought of a clashed die.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Clashed Die
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 07:19:47 pm »
The difference between a restruck brockage and a die clash is that with the restruck brockage detail/depth would be missing in the incuse area since the die wouldn't make full contact with incuse area of the flan on the restrike, whereas with a die clash the detail in the incuse area is  (rather counter-intuitively) actually going to be slightly enhanced relative to the rest of the coin... I drew this diagram for myself a while back to better understand what happens with a clashed die.

Ben

All coins are guaranteed for eternity