Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Islamic unknown  (Read 1918 times)

Emanuele Giulianelli

Islamic unknown
« on: November 23, 2006, 03:41:21 am »
Hello!
on "identification" they tell me to post these coin here... can you please help me?
they are 13/14 mm

Emanuele Giulianelli

Re: Islamic unknown
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 03:42:21 am »
other face

mernumis

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 09:46:27 am »
Dear Emanuele,
I am not to familiar with these types, but to guess, so to speak, it could be afghani or indian as well... with your permission I could copy the images and ask for help elsewhere. What do you say? Frank.

Manzikert

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 05:30:14 pm »
Hi Emanuele

These are coins of the Sultans of Mogadishu, see 'Sylloge of Islamic Coins in the Ashmolean, Vol. 10, Arabia and East Africa' by Stephen Album and Album's 'Checklist of Islamic Coins'.

No.1 and No.2 are coins of Zubayr bin 'Umar, 'perhaps 9th/15th century' (eg. SICA 674, 0.66 gm, A1174 'scarce')
No.3 is a coin of 'Ali bin Yusuf, also 'perhaps 9th/15th century (SICA 676 0.60 gm, A1175 'common')

Unfortunately virtually nothing is known about the real date of these issues (Album says the dates 'may be off the mark by as much as a century') or the history of the sultanate.

These are the first examples of these I have seen outside the catalogues: I am most envious :).

Best wishes

Alan

Emanuele Giulianelli

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 05:46:42 pm »
WOW!
so they are interesting coins?

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 05:55:08 pm »
Is that the same as modern Mogadishu?
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Manzikert

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 07:24:33 pm »
Hi Robert

Yep, same place. Quite how big the sultanate was I don't know, and I suspect noone really knows :-\

Best wishes

Alan

mernumis

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 08:49:05 pm »
wow !!! Alan is right. These are quite interesting.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 06:34:28 pm »
My historical atlas marks Mogadishu as a Medieval trading centre, and as being involved in the spread of Islam, which is what you'd expect given that it was largely spread by traders. But there's no indication of the Sultanate. Written sources for pre-colonial African history aren't exactly thick on the ground, though, unfortunately. Ibn Battuta appears to have visited the place, if you have his book.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity