Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: help id please....  (Read 1282 times)

mernumis

help id please....
« on: November 22, 2006, 02:39:32 pm »
this silver piece weighs less than a gramm... d=16.5-18mm.

yafet_rasnal

Re: help id please....
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 07:05:11 pm »
It's a french denier. Can you read any letter?

mernumis

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 12:38:46 am »
I can't read anything. But It seems like there is a ship image and a man standing on it? but it seems like I am looking at the coin like a fortuneteller  :o .

yafet_rasnal

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 01:58:14 am »
Ok, here it's
Normandy, Rouen Mint, under Robert II (1087-1106), denier.
obv/ NORMANNA - Cross with pellets
rev/ Building ( it recalls the temple of the carolingian issues)

ref/ Roberts 4835

mernumis

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 02:52:44 am »
Thanks, Yafet in your direction I just looked at coinarchives and found that my coins in fact :
Liège, bishopric, Henry of Verdun, Denier, 0.9g., struck at Maastricht, (scs s)erva(tvs), bust facing with crozier to left, rev. no legend, building with cross under arch between two towers (Frère 43; Chestret -; hoard report 498), unevenly struck, fine and very rare but rather cruedly made... the rev side has a cross that holds two directional buildings like described... I am vary happy to find out that I got a bargain... I bought this coin for 10 dolars! Frank

[DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 03:03:22 am »
Thanks, Yafet in your direction I just looked at coinarchives and found that my coins in fact :
Liège, bishopric, Henry of Verdun, Denier, 0.9g., struck at Maastricht, (scs s)erva(tvs), bust facing with crozier to left, rev. no legend, building with cross under arch between two towers (Frère 43; Chestret -; hoard report 498), unevenly struck, fine and very rare but rather cruedly made... the rev side has a cross that holds two directional buildings like described... I am vary happy to find out that I got a bargain... I bought this coin for 10 dolars! Frank

[DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

The link you provided is not the same as the coin you have posted on this topic.  I believe that Yafet Rasnal is correct in his identification.

mernumis

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 08:53:35 pm »
thanks... I may be wrong but I just wanted to see if there is a better image of my coin on the web to see clearly what I had in hand. I guess this info is all I can have about my coin... Frank.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity