Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Small islamic gold coin... Genuine? Fatimid?  (Read 1300 times)

Offline divus

• Legionary
Small islamic gold coin... Genuine? Fatimid?
« on: November 10, 2006, 12:21:24 pm »
Hello!

I have found this little gold coin, but I don't know anything about islamic coins because I can't read them (unfortunately, but I have purchased the book by Plant, arabic coins, but it will take much time to step into this special numismatic world).

I have compared this coin to others and I think it might be a Fatimid coin - if it is genuine.

0,94g, 12-13mm

What do you think?

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
Re: Small islamic gold coin... Genuine? Fatimid?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 03:49:14 pm »
I can't tell you the ruler, but it does look like a genuine 1/4 dinar of the Fatimids.  The reverse (right image) will tell you the ruler that made the coin.  The obverse (left image) seems to have been standard on Fatimid 1/4 dinars and matchs the images in Marsden's Numismata Orientalia Illustrata.  Most likely this coin was minted by al-Mustansir, since his coins are the most common, but I really don't know.

mernumis

Re: Small islamic gold coin... Genuine? Fatimid?
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 09:00:31 pm »
try uploading to zeno... I am shure someone would give you better response there... My oppunion is that it is fatimid as Mr Cole said. Frank.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity