Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: help id please....  (Read 1277 times)

mernumis

help id please....
« on: November 22, 2006, 02:39:32 pm »
this silver piece weighs less than a gramm... d=16.5-18mm.

yafet_rasnal

Re: help id please....
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 07:05:11 pm »
It's a french denier. Can you read any letter?

mernumis

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 12:38:46 am »
I can't read anything. But It seems like there is a ship image and a man standing on it? but it seems like I am looking at the coin like a fortuneteller  :o .

yafet_rasnal

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 01:58:14 am »
Ok, here it's
Normandy, Rouen Mint, under Robert II (1087-1106), denier.
obv/ NORMANNA - Cross with pellets
rev/ Building ( it recalls the temple of the carolingian issues)

ref/ Roberts 4835

mernumis

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 02:52:44 am »
Thanks, Yafet in your direction I just looked at coinarchives and found that my coins in fact :
Liège, bishopric, Henry of Verdun, Denier, 0.9g., struck at Maastricht, (scs s)erva(tvs), bust facing with crozier to left, rev. no legend, building with cross under arch between two towers (Frère 43; Chestret -; hoard report 498), unevenly struck, fine and very rare but rather cruedly made... the rev side has a cross that holds two directional buildings like described... I am vary happy to find out that I got a bargain... I bought this coin for 10 dolars! Frank

[DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 03:03:22 am »
Thanks, Yafet in your direction I just looked at coinarchives and found that my coins in fact :
Liège, bishopric, Henry of Verdun, Denier, 0.9g., struck at Maastricht, (scs s)erva(tvs), bust facing with crozier to left, rev. no legend, building with cross under arch between two towers (Frère 43; Chestret -; hoard report 498), unevenly struck, fine and very rare but rather cruedly made... the rev side has a cross that holds two directional buildings like described... I am vary happy to find out that I got a bargain... I bought this coin for 10 dolars! Frank

[DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

The link you provided is not the same as the coin you have posted on this topic.  I believe that Yafet Rasnal is correct in his identification.

mernumis

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 08:53:35 pm »
thanks... I may be wrong but I just wanted to see if there is a better image of my coin on the web to see clearly what I had in hand. I guess this info is all I can have about my coin... Frank.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity