Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Pics of historical coins  (Read 15193 times)

Marcus Aurelius

Re: Pics of historical coins
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2005, 03:39:53 pm »
Here is my favourite coin,unfortunately dont belong to me. :(

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2005, 08:03:51 am »
Hi to all historical interested members!

Recently on search of background informations for my coins I found this, which I want to share with you. Subject is the Augustus denar RIC I, 169; C.141; BMC 458

AR - Denar, 3.82g, 18mm
Lugdunum 15-13 BC
obv. AVGVSTVS - DIVI F (counterclockwise)
bare head of Augustus r.
rev. bull butting l., head down
exergue: IMP . X
Rare; EF, portrait!

The theme of the butting bull on this coin has two sources. First it resembles the famous types of Thurioi/Lucania. Thurioi is a town in Southern Italy and started very early with the emission of coins. Here I have a pic from Wildwinds.

Thourioi, ca. 440-410 BC.
AR - Nomos, 7.96g
obv. head of Athena r., wearing Attic helmet, decorated with laurel-wreath, small Gamma on top of visor.
rev. bull walking l., Gamma below
exergue: fish
SNG ANS 879 (same obverse die); SNG Lockett 466

The matching is astonishing. But what connections can be found between Augustus and Thurioi? I made a strike at Sueton, De Vita Caesorum Lib.2, Divus Augustus:
1. [...] that his great-grandfather was a released, a roper from the village of Thurii [...] (Lib.2,
    2.3)
2. [...] on the way he (catavian's father!) killed a handful followers of Spartacus and Catilina who were left over and while on flight had the region of Thurioi under control [...] Lib.2, 3.1)
3. When he was a child he was given the cognomen Thurinus, to remind on the origin of his ancestors.   
Sueton then confirmed the cognomen Thurinus saying that he have had a small bust of Augustus in his own hands with the inscription Thurinus. Marcus Antonius  often called him in his letters Thurinus as attempt to bring discredit upon him. But Augustus wondered why that should be shameful . (Lib.2, 7.1)

So there is a strong personal connection between Thurioi and Augustus.

The second source for the butting bull theme are coins of Massalia, today Marseille in France, from the 1st century BC which show a butting bull too. So the Coin of Augustus is an allusion to Gaul and therefore a mint of Gaul is assumed for Augustus' coin, most likely Lugdunum/Lyon. The motiv of the bull seems to stand for a bull cult in Gaul. We know that Augustus was 16-13 BC in Gaul to reorganize it. So the emission of this coin is probably for a memento of his stay in Gaul.

Here I have a coin of Massalia with a bull from 149-140 BC.

Lit.:
BMCRE Vol.I, p.xvi, p.cxv
Melville Jones, Dictionary of Ancient Roman Coins
Monumentum Ancyranum
www.roman-emperors.org
www.wildwinds.com

Regards

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2005, 08:08:21 am »
And here is the bull on a coin of Massalia 490-400 BC. Sorry, I couldn't find a better exemplar!

Regards

siranthonyac

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2005, 04:26:56 pm »
Hi,

Here's a few from me:

First, Sulla returns to Rome and becomes self appointed dictator (remember before this, Marius, Cinna, & Carbo were all Consuls)

Here's Alexander the Great's General Ptolemy, who after Alexander's death proclaimed himself King of Egypt

This one is from Mark Antony's VIII Legion at the battle of Actium in 31 BC, he and Cleo would loose and be dead within a year

Here is a coin minted by Caesar's traveling mint, in North Africa as he battled Cato... once defeated... shorty there after, Caesar was made dictator for life, and so ended the Republic

Here's one of Marius, 7x consol of Rome, the coin Refers to Marius' victories over the Teutones and Ambrones at Aquae Sextiae in 102 B.C. and the Cimbri at Vercellae in 101 B.C.

ancientjim

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2005, 06:39:34 pm »
Hi,

I would like to add a couple from my collection to this thread.  Both are from Philip I (244 - 249 AD).  The first, a "VICTORIA CARPICA" reverse is the only way we even know this victory over the Carpi tribe of Germans in AD 247 ever occurred.  With its limited production, it may not have been the victory that it was cracked up to be.  The second is one of many reverses honoring the 1000th anniversary of Rome.  It was issued to show the people one of the exotic animals brought into Rome for the year long celebration.

Nico Creces

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2005, 04:58:18 pm »
Mostly struck to pay the Parthenon on the Acropolis.
And one of my favourite coins ;)
Greetz,
Nico

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2005, 10:35:31 am »
There is now a public gallery dedicated to historical coins.  Please use that instead of this thread.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

HoloWolf

Re:Pics of historical coins
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2005, 08:01:07 am »
Hi!

Somedays before I get a mail from a friend, a Latin and Greek teacher out of duty, with additional information to FELIX and FORTVNA which I want to share (translated by me):

I am bothered for a long time by the poor identification of FELIX with the German 'glücklich' (English = happy), which should translated rather with the Latin BEATUS. In the formula PIVS FELIX (short PF) the simplistic translation by 'fromm and glücklich' (= pious and happy) makes no sense.

Regards,
Jochen

I would translate FELIX as "faithful", so PF is "pious and faithful", ie. faithful to the church.
It's woth noting that Felix used to be a common dog's name for exactly this reason.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2005, 09:19:35 am »
Pius Felix was used long before the legalisation of Christianity, so I don't think it has anything to do with the church! Happy and dutiful is a common translation. Antoninus Pius recieved the title Pius for his devotion to Hadruan's memory, so I think that part of it implies that the emperor acts like a dutiful son, presumably towards the empire rather than any human father.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

basemetal

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2005, 01:18:29 am »
Vespasian70:
That's my dream coin.  Truth to tell, knowing it's value I'd still have to decide to keep or sell it.
I'm weak....I'd sell it.

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2005, 09:27:49 pm »
Vespasian70:
That's my dream coin. Truth to tell, knowing it's value I'd still have to decide to keep or sell it.
I'm weak....I'd sell it.

I would have to keep it.  ;)

basemetal

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2006, 10:30:18 pm »
Vespasian 70:

I must say after about 3 seconds reflection, I'd keep it too.  I've been very happy and comfortable being fairly poor most of my life, and every roman coin I've sold has left a void that the cash did not fill.
Oh...my new most favorite coin that I personally own is:

Antoninus Pius AE As. ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P TR P XIX, laureate head right / COS IIII, Jupiter seated left with Victory, SC in ex.
It was mis-attributed by the seller so I got it at a good price and now own a genuinely scarce coin:

basemetal

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2006, 10:36:48 pm »
Vespasian 70:
I may have mentioned this, but I saw in this forum in the "Ugliest Coin" posts a badly worn Flavian Amphitheatre coin. No joke.  So far the owner has declined to sell it. And I even offered him a really, really dandy VF Valens as well..mmm...:)

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2006, 09:19:26 am »
Congrats on the Antoninus Pius! A very nice find.

I may have mentioned this, but I saw in this forum in the "Ugliest Coin" posts a badly worn Flavian Amphitheatre coin. No joke. So far the owner has declined to sell it. And I even offered him a really, really dandy VF Valens as well..mmm...:)

But still, a worn Flavian Amphitheatre coin is still a Flavian Amphitheatre coin...and he probably knows that too!  ;)

jamesicus

Re:Pics of historical coins
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2006, 02:46:56 pm »
Edited

jamesicus

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2006, 12:20:19 pm »
Edited

His Star

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2006, 02:58:50 am »
Mostly struck to pay the Parthenon on the Acropolis.
And one of my favourite coins ;)
Greetz,
Nico

Wonderful coin!

The assignment for the final in my make-up and disguise class is to pick a character from a play and make myself up to be that character.  I chose the play
THE BIRDS by Aristophanes, it is described as 'old comedy' produced in March 4I4 B.C.
Reading the play I found references to the coins of their day:

1.  EUELPIDES
By Zeus! 'tis what I did myself one day on seeing a kite; but at the moment I was on my knees, and leaning backwards with mouth agape, I bolted an obolus and was forced to carry my bag home empty.
(had the obolus in his mouth and swallowed it)

2.  I want now to speak to the judges about the prize they are going to award; if they are favourable to us, we will load them with benefits far greater than those Paris received. Firstly, the owls of Laurium, which every judge desires above all things, shall never be wanting to you; you shall see them homing with you, building their nests in your money-bags and laying coins.

(Laurium was an Athenian deme at the extremity of the Attic peninsula containing valuable silver mines, the revenues of which were largely employed in the maintenance of the fleet and payment of the crews. The "owls of Laurium," of course, mean pieces of money; the Athenian coinage was stamped with a representation of an owl, the bird of Athene.)

Thought you would find it interesting, especially since this is the coin you have!
I know I did.

Oh, I am making myself up as the bird person, Procne.  If it turns out, and I get a decent photo, (and if there is band width  ;)) I'll post it later.

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2006, 01:59:42 am »
Great stuff! My contibution is a caesar denarius with some rather glum Gauls.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity