Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Please help ID Ottoman AR  (Read 1582 times)

Offline lv88

• Consul
    • Armenian Numismatic Page
Please help ID Ottoman AR
« on: October 05, 2006, 10:45:56 pm »
Hello All,

This piece came to me labelled as an Ottoman AR Dirhem, Ahmed I, Amid Mint. I do not have it in hand but is roughly 20 mm in diameter, give or take 3 mm. I am wondering if anyone can confirm or deny ID, and give catalogue reference number. Thanks in advance.

Best,
Levon

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
Re: Please help ID Ottoman AR
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 05:00:50 pm »
The toughra appears very similar to one illustrated in Mitchiner's World of Islam for Ahmad I.  He calls his coin with this taughra a Para (of 3 Akches: 2.4 grams). 

Offline lv88

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 05:15:25 pm »
17-18 mm. Is a para the equivalent of dirhem?

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 05:45:41 pm »
If I remember correctly, a dirhem weighs about 3 grams.  So, a para is a little light to be considered a dirhem.

Album does say that Ahmed I did issue coins called dirhems, plus a lot of other coin values with their own unique names.  The taughra was also used on the dirhems along with its use on the para.  Album says that dirhems for this ruler are common.

So the weight of the coin seems to be important.

Offline lv88

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 08:53:08 pm »
Dear Howard,

Thanks for narrowing this down. At this point we have reached the limit as I cannot supply the weight.

Best,
Levon

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 02:12:38 pm »
hi Levon

I have also seen this on Zeno.
Sorry I am really struggling with my internet connection right now.

This is an Ahmet I most likely of Amid mint.  I can read "m" and "a" but I dont think it is Mardin I am pretty certain it is Amid.
It must be a Dirhem according to the size. Check on Ottomancoins.com to be sure.

Burak

Offline lv88

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 03:43:36 pm »
Thanks!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity