Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderators: AlexB, quadrans)  |  Topic: Please help ID Ottoman AR 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Please help ID Ottoman AR  (Read 941 times)
lv88
Consul

« on: October 05, 2006, 08:45:56 pm »

Hello All,

This piece came to me labelled as an Ottoman AR Dirhem, Ahmed I, Amid Mint. I do not have it in hand but is roughly 20 mm in diameter, give or take 3 mm. I am wondering if anyone can confirm or deny ID, and give catalogue reference number. Thanks in advance.

Best,
Levon
Howard Cole
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Elymais forever!

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 03:00:50 pm »

The toughra appears very similar to one illustrated in Mitchiner's World of Islam for Ahmad I.  He calls his coin with this taughra a Para (of 3 Akches: 2.4 grams). 

lv88
Consul

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 03:15:25 pm »

17-18 mm. Is a para the equivalent of dirhem?
Howard Cole
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Elymais forever!

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 03:45:41 pm »

If I remember correctly, a dirhem weighs about 3 grams.  So, a para is a little light to be considered a dirhem.

Album does say that Ahmed I did issue coins called dirhems, plus a lot of other coin values with their own unique names.  The taughra was also used on the dirhems along with its use on the para.  Album says that dirhems for this ruler are common.

So the weight of the coin seems to be important.

lv88
Consul

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 06:53:08 pm »

Dear Howard,

Thanks for narrowing this down. At this point we have reached the limit as I cannot supply the weight.

Best,
Levon
Istinpolin
Consul

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 12:12:38 pm »

hi Levon

I have also seen this on Zeno.
Sorry I am really struggling with my internet connection right now.

This is an Ahmet I most likely of Amid mint.  I can read "m" and "a" but I dont think it is Mardin I am pretty certain it is Amid.
It must be a Dirhem according to the size. Check on Ottomancoins.com to be sure.

Burak
lv88
Consul

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 01:43:36 pm »

Thanks!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderators: AlexB, quadrans)  |  Topic: Please help ID Ottoman AR « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop