Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Byzantine Coins Discussion Forum

Byzantine Coin

<< < (3/5) > >>

Plami:

--- Quote from: Geta on October 09, 2006, 07:11:45 pm ---
I hope you guys won't forget to inform us about this one,
when cleaned and identified correctly, I'm very curious about it!

Geta

--- End quote ---

Certainly, thank you all for your help!!!

Orthodoxcoins:

--- Quote from: Geta on October 09, 2006, 07:11:45 pm ---
I hope you guys won't forget to inform us about this one,
when cleaned and identified correctly, I'm very curious about it!

Geta

--- End quote ---

Description
149, Lot: 397. BULGARIA. Alexios and John Asen. Circa 1356-1366. Æ Trachy (21mm, 1.70 g). Estimate $100. Sold for 117. 

BULGARIA. Alexios and John Asen. Circa 1356-1366. Æ Trachy (21mm, 1.70 g). The Virgin Mary, orans, standing between two short columns topped by stars / Two crowned figures standing facing, holding sceptres; clouds above, three stars between. Bendall, “The Diokitirion Square Trachion Reconsidered”, in Nomismatika Xronika 21, pp. 107-110. Near VF, green patina.
Alexios and John Asen were scions of the Bulgarian royal house, who held a section of the Thracian coast as an independent fief during the turbulent reign of the Byzantine emperor John V. Site finds indicate these coins were struck in that area, and are not imperial Byzantine issues.

It's NOT my opinion !:)))

maxthrax:
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your comprehensive respond, this is very interesting for me!
I know about those dinasts, I've seen lead seals of John Asen, found in that area,
but never seen such coins. There are many things to be spicified about the Bulgarian
coinage in general, and that kind of discussions would be helpful for all interested.

Geta

Plami:

--- Quote from: Geta on October 12, 2006, 03:22:01 pm ---Hi,

Thanks a lot for your comprehensive respond, this is very interesting for me!
I know about those dinasts, I've seen lead seals of John Asen, found in that area,
but never seen such coins. There are many things to be spicified about the Bulgarian
coinage in general, and that kind of discussions would be helpful for all interested.

Geta

--- End quote ---

That is the description of the lot but interestingly enough, there is no John Assen in Bulgaria at that time.

Plami:
Alright, now that I have the coin in hand, here is what I think:

This coin is NOT a Bulgarian royal issue. Period. Geta - there are no Ivan Alexander's issues even close to this one, I looked through all books and magazines that I have for Bulgarian coins and this one is not close to anything. Neither the reverse nor the obverse look like a Bulgarian coin. Even the shape of the coin doesn't quiet look like any of the hundreds of Bulgarian coins I have (probably over a hundred are Ivan Alexander and his imitative issues).

Dochev shows a John V coin, similar to this one, even the graphics are the same - kind of blocky, sketchy, all the starts are on the right places, but again as Laetvs said, this coin is a trachy not a stamenon. I don't have the Sear catalog so I can't really say what is in there.

Looking closer - the coin does not look like it is overstruck either.

So my best guess is: either an imitation (even if it is Bulgarian), or more likely an unpublished issue of John V. The field is yours, experts  ;D Val, the coin will be a good addition to your collection  ;)

I am beginning to like this  forum   8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version