Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Trident, I wonder?  (Read 1408 times)

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
Trident, I wonder?
« on: October 02, 2006, 01:39:42 pm »
This Nezak-style coin was sold as having been found in the Kashmir Smast, said to be a romantic-sounding cave kingdom.  I have a couple of coins from there arnd they look to me like coins made elswhere, even if they were found there.  This one is 16mm and weighs one gram.

I recently saw a photo of a coin similar to this, but larger, which was said to have a trident crown, though it doesn't look much like a trident to me.  But it's certainly not the winged buffalo crown of the Nezak Malkas.  If this is a trident, then this would be a coin of the Turk Shahis, the second Nezak dynasty.  It has the typical Nezak fire altar with wheels to each side on the reverse.

Can anyone identify this and say what the object is in front of the ruler on the obverse?

Thanks.
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
Re: Trident, I wonder?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 05:32:30 pm »
This coin is listed in Mitchiner's Ancient & Classical World as numbers 1534 and 1535, your coin  being more like 1535.  He says what is in front of the bust is the Pehlvi legend that has been reduced to one character.  He calls this coin an AE quarter drachm, with a weight between 1 and 1 1/2 grams.  It is attributed to Hephthalites between 475 to 560/576 AD, with the Napki Malik legendMitchiner calls this series the Gandharan series with bare head.

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
Re: Trident, I wonder?
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 12:40:27 pm »
Thanks, Howard.  As usual, you are the man who knows!
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

All coins are guaranteed for eternity