Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unidentified Islamic coin 3  (Read 1118 times)

Offline CANTANATRIX

• Consul
Unidentified Islamic coin 3
« on: September 23, 2006, 10:42:34 pm »
Hi this coin part of a lot of 3 islamic silvers that I have just won-I haven't got a clue about islamic issues so any help you can give to ID would be much appreciated :)

Thanks,

Andy
"Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever." Aristophanes

"He is a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Manzikert

Re: Unidentified Islamic coin 3
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 01:44:34 pm »
Hi Andy

This is a Hungarian denar from the 1100's: I will try and pin it down a bit closer for you.

[edit] I think it is probably Ladislaus III, 1204-5, see http://www.numismatics.org/cgi-bin/showobj?accnum=1932.29.7 , though I can't find a picture yet.

Best wishes

Alan

Offline CANTANATRIX

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 02:29:29 pm »
Thanks Alan  :)
I reckon you're right that its a Ladislaus III although I think it might be a different type as the one you give fits better with this coin:
"Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever." Aristophanes

"He is a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Manzikert

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 06:46:59 pm »
Hi Andy

Yes, it definitely isn't Huszar 84 (which I suggested, and you've posted a pic of), but unfortunately I don't have a copy of the book to check which it really is :(.

Perhaps somone else has access to Huszar and can help us out with the correct number.

Best wishes

Alan

Offline j.berta

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 09:53:18 am »
Hi Andy,
This is an anonymous Hungarian denar from the 12th Century. Most likely it is Bela II. (1131-1141).
Huszar 89, Rethy 74, Unger 48.
Best wishes,
Jozsef from Hungary.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity