Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: please help identify  (Read 1827 times)

Offline Alexios

• Praetorian
please help identify
« on: September 19, 2006, 03:09:34 pm »
I just get this coin as present and i am more into roman and byzantine stuff i cannot read anything on it :)
Can somebody help me with all the details on the coin? it is 30mm and over 1 mm thick
Year, Mint, Ruler, Denomination and Value...
Thank you in advance :)
ALEX
+A.E.XW.T.FW.P.B.R.S.

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
Re: please help identify
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 04:25:16 pm »
This is an Ottomen Piastre minted at Qustantiniyah (Constantinople) during the reign of Mahmud II (AH1223-1255/1808-1839AD).  I believe it was minted during his second or third year.

What is the weight of this coin?  If it is between 12 and 13.18 grams then it is year 2.  If around 9.6 grams, it is year 3.  There is a really big difference in values between year 2 and year 3 coins ($100's of dollars in value).

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 11:59:30 am »
7th year

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 05:31:32 pm »
Istinpolin, just so that I know, where exactly is the regnal year on this coin?  I guess it is not where I thought it was.

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 01:56:23 pm »
hi Howard

It is on the obverse. Third line from the top last digit on the left.

See more examples on Zeno

Best wishes,
Burak

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 04:23:08 pm »
So what is the symbol or letter in the middle of the second line on the left image?  It sure look like a two or three.

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 06:50:18 pm »
Hi Howard

It is not a "2" or "3" it is a "1" with a dot next to it, which makes it appear like a "2".

The obverse reads:
Sultan ül berreyn
ve hakan ül bahreyn
essultan bin 1
sultan

The 1 stands for the "only" or "the one an only".

Also this coins denomination is also known as Kurus (Qurush) as well as Piastre which is the French word for it.

Best wishes,
Burak

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 06:53:13 pm »
Moreover
if it was the 1st year (extremly rare) or the second year then the diameter should be 34mm or 35mm. In the first 2 years this type was larger as it replaced the 40 Para coin standard of the previous Sultan.

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 06:35:00 am »
http://www.osmanliparalari.com/30-2mahmut-1223/30-1223-foto/1kurus-30-1223-7-kost.jpg

The value would be about 30 to 40 Dollars, as you have asked me in a pm, but dont quote me on that.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity