Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Eadgar or Edward the Martyr, unrecorded type  (Read 1370 times)

hooverman

Eadgar or Edward the Martyr, unrecorded type
« on: September 23, 2006, 11:56:48 am »
Got this a couple of weeks ago, evidently this moneyer has not been recorded for these reigns at York. Probably Regenbald.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re: Eadgar or Edward the Martyr, unrecorded type
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 07:24:01 pm »
Can you eliminate the First Small Cross type of Aethelred II? You can probably read the inscriptions better in the hand; what are they exactly?
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

hooverman

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 08:44:11 pm »
Hi Robert,
I must admit that this is not my Id on the coin (we don't tend to find many late saxon pennies) but from Martin at the corpus.
He stated
'Eadgar Reform type or Edward the Martyr cut halfpenny, York, moneyer
Regen(bald?), reading +REGE[ ]EFERP. The moneyer may be Regenbald
(recorded at York in the reign of Aethelred II), but Regenold or
Regenulf (names recorded at Winchester in Eadgar's Reform type) are also
possibilities.'

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 10:26:03 am »
That's why I asked; it struck me that it could have been one of Aethelred's moneyers, and he does have a type with the bust left and small cross pattee. I'm really not sure, any more than Matin appears to have been.
Robert Brenchley

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 02:42:02 pm »
OK, it's definitely not Aethelred since if it was, the obverse inscription would start with the dipthong AE (I don't know how to type it). It's a pity, if only because 'Aethelred Unraed' sounds marvellous until you translate it (Ethelred the Unadvised, or Unready). The last word in the inscription, ANGLOX, takes up almost half of the circle. This is the case in the only Eadgar type with bust left illustrated in the 1963 edition of North, the Reform Portrait type, which has ANGLOX. On the Edward the Martyr types illustrated, whatever abbreviation of ANGLORUM is used takes considerably less than this. So I'd plump for Eadgar.
Robert Brenchley

hooverman

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 03:37:21 pm »
Great stuff, would you then presume that the moneyer would be one of the two from Winchester or would it still (possibly) be Regenbald?

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 03:48:04 pm »
EFERP can't be Winchester; that would be WINTONI. But it could be a misreading (the last letter isn't clear) or a blundering of an abbreviation of EOFERWIC, which is York. Some moneyers continued from one reign to another; Regenulf was still striking for Aethelred. That's hardly surprising; the skills must have been hard to find. So I'd plump for a possible Regenbald.
Robert Brenchley

All coins are guaranteed for eternity