Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Moving story..  (Read 1170 times)

Vladimir

Moving story..
« on: September 17, 2006, 08:43:10 pm »
I dont even know how to start.. Well I hired one  of craigslist's guy to move us , he  was  answering all emails in no time, provided a good quote , and  it appeared that he even lived in the same apartment complex with us.  He was helpful , didnt get annoyed that we had to leave 3 hours later, so I gave him a $100 tip above that quote in the middle of the road  ,  shared with him  my last 15-years old cigar when he mentioned that he  smokes them,  lots of dry foods, gave him  my unused laundry card with some money on it ( he said  that he washes everything for free in his nationalguard base, but  grabbed it pretty avidly anyways ) It was a long drive, we talked a lot,  telling stories ets,  we had a good time.  When we arrived , my wife brought us some beers, and  asked him if he wants to use one of bedrooms to spend the night there as it was late , but he had his reservation at Nationalguard base so he didnt want to, we gave him a few beers for later, keys from the lock we bought for his trailer,  and  thanked him for his help and farewell with him.
So.. I was in a hurry while packing, so i put a bag with my little treasures into the bigger bag. When unloading , coin bag was so heavy that it ripped the bigger bag, but not totally, it was like 1/2 out.  I didnt want to break the bag totally so I left it there and took other things to carry. When I came back, the coin bag wasnt there. I asked him if he took it  out ( I assume to bring in to the house )  but he  firmly stated that he didnt see any bag with coins. I didnt like his tone, but  I assumed that my wife brought it in, and kept unloading. After a few days of unpacking, I realized that the coin bag is gone.  I had almost 2000 semi and uncleaned coins there, metaldetected in Britain mostly. Several pounds of British pre-decimal coinage,  denariuses of Trajan and ElagabalusSeverus, others, 10-20 thracian hemidrachms, some Pantikapaion coins , a lot, a lot  of stuff, I'd say  more than a half of my collection.. :'(    Its devastating..  And  even worse,  how one can expect  that people can get that low??  What in the world he thought he will find there? 20-30 bucks in loose change?! I am so sad... :'(
And what do  I do now? I've never  had an expierence like this in USA, besides  i  really dont know what one can do in this situation here..  Can anyone please advice me anything?

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.
Re: Moving story..
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 11:54:35 pm »
File a police report, including any documentation of the stolen property; and then scan the coin market.  You still have rights to any coins that come up to market that you can prove was a part of the stolen collection.

Scipio Helveticus

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 02:40:00 am »
Well, at least you know who it was. Maybe you can get a court order against him. I had some of my prize stamps stolen at an exhibition last year. They never saw who it was, and I have been left without them since. :'( :'(

peterpil19

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 03:00:00 am »
Such a breach of trust is sickening. I agree with ecoli, it warrants police intervention.

Peter

All coins are guaranteed for eternity