Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Those worn provincials vs Rome mints  (Read 954 times)

basemetal

Those worn provincials vs Rome mints
« on: September 20, 2006, 09:02:45 pm »
To some of you this may seem like one of those "and so what" or "newbie" topics. 
Those provincials, all those worn, worn provincials
Do they point out a basic fact that out in the boonies, coins of every stripe were circulated, and circulated untll very, very worn? Even the silver.
The reason I post this is because I got a lot of the ah..."Hadrian's Tour" coins.  Of course they were worn because they are surviving examples of affordable coins of the type.  Another definition:
More cheap large worn coins.
But I'm thinking that even then so far from rome and it's so often issues and perhaps given that even with provincial mints doing their parts, coins in those regions stayed in circulation on, and on, and on.
Discussion? 

Offline whitetd49

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • FEL TEMP REPARATIO
    • Coins of the Severan Dynasty at Stobi
Re: Those worn provincials vs Rome mints
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 09:18:54 pm »
You are absolutely correct.  The very reason for provincial coin production was often the shortage of Imperial currency.  Even within the Empire, coinage shortages existed, necessitating the prolongation of their useage with countermarks.  Thus, study of countermarks and the nuances of fine dies is often mutually exclusive!
If you watch long enough, even a treefrog is interesting.  Umberto Eco
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10349

basemetal

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 10:35:28 pm »
Thank you white49d!
I have 3 countermarked coins on the way and have several already.  I've always found them fascinating.  In an odd way, I've always sort of felt that you actually get two coins for the price of one.  The original, if legible, and the origin of the countermark.  I especially love the ones that have a discernable image of the original emperor and the countermark itself.  There is often so much history there.

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 07:57:20 am »
As I understand it, provincial bronzes were mostly only issued now and again and circulated mostly in the area of the city that issued them. I'm not sure if Imperial bronzes circulated alongside them, but as they don't seem to bear any relationship to one another, perhaps not. Probably if you were a visitor from Rome you had to buy them with your denarii at the local money changers.

Bronze coins, provincial or imperial, being of lower value, were in constant circulation and thus are usually quite worn. It's a bit like our five pound notes which look as if they have been screwed up, jumped on and put through a mangle, whereas fifty pound notes look pristine. Also bear in mind that the purpose of minting coins was to pay the Imperial bills - the army, new palaces etc. - which needed silver or gold coins. Therefore bronze coins were not a priority. Better to wait until they were worn out and countermark them.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

All coins are guaranteed for eternity