Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Baybars or who?  (Read 1563 times)

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
Baybars or who?
« on: September 10, 2006, 04:11:04 pm »
Greetings!

This was sold as a coin of Baybars 1.  But, no lion, which I understand was his symbol.  Can anyone ID this accurately, please?  (And which is the obverse?)

23mm, 2.9g.

Thanks!

"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Lawrence Woolslayer

Re: Baybars or who?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 07:42:54 pm »
bump

Manzikert

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 04:59:31 pm »
Hi Bill

This is actually an Ayyubid coin, a dirhem of Al-'Adil I (596-615 H/ 1199-1218 AD), struck in Damascus in 608 H/ 1211-1212 AD), Balog 296

The obverse is the right hand image.

Best wishes

Alan

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 07:40:52 am »
Alan -

Thanks!  (I thought I had thanked you for that information ages ago, but I don't see it there so maybe I missed.)  That's useful and informative.
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Manzikert

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 06:11:07 pm »
Hi Bill

You're welcome: always happy to help if I can  :)

Best wishes

All coins are guaranteed for eternity