Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Isfiya Hoard question  (Read 41 times)

Offline Yoel S

• Legionary
Isfiya Hoard question
« on: January 25, 2024, 06:05:47 am »
I have recently purchased a CY162 Tyrian half-shekel from Incitatus Coins (picture at https://images.vcoins.com/product_image/79/T/Tnp7eP5rwzB9y6TE8ZdsKd4o2njQSH.jpg; nice guy, would definitely recommend!), and I'm starting to do a bit of research into it. The seller was unsure of its provenance, but told me he bought it several years ago from a dealer in France.

PHOENICIA, Tyre AR silver half shekel, 19mm, 7.0g. Tyre, or Jerusalem (as per Meshorer), dated CY 162 (36-37 CE). Laureate head of Melkart right, lion skin around neck. Reverse - Eagle standing left on prow; palm frond in background; to left, PΞB (date) above club; to right, KP above XX; Phoenician A between legs. DCA-Tyre 385 (same dies as illustration, also a die match for Triton XXV, #6161); RPC I 4695; HGC 10, 358; DCA 922.

According to DCA-Tyre Rel. 2, it looks like it might be a die match for Israel Antiquities Authority, ISF-IAA 9036.

I corresponded with Dr. C. Meir of the KNP, and she sent me her article about the half-shekels they have. Two of them (#243 and #247) also seem to be die matches. I've also corresponded with Dr. D. Ariel, who told me to contact Dr. R. Kool to see the ISF-IAA 9036 coin. Next time I'm in Jerusalem, I plan to do that.

Does anyone know what happened to the Isfiya hoard? I have a feeling, based on these three die matches, that my coin might have come from it.

From what I've read, there were ~4500 coins, of which:
- 300 went to KNP
- 158 went to the Maritime Museum in Haifa
- > 800 went to the Israel Government Medals and Coins Corporation (what did they do with so many?)
- 64 went to the Kibbutz Hanita Museum
- 81 went to the Hecht Museum
- 727 remain in the IAA collection (are these the ISF-IAA?)
- 88 were sold by Better
That leaves >2000 coins unaccounted for. Were they dispersed on the open market?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity