Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Celtic Coins  (Read 1769 times)

AncientCoins

Celtic Coins
« on: September 07, 2006, 10:32:28 pm »
Hello all, I don't frequent these forums very often, but I was reading a little bit about the Celts and became interested in their coins.  Did they ever mint coins in a leader's name or anything?  Most I've seen are like Celtic imitations of Alexander III drachms and things.  Also, what are considered the Celts in Roman days?  Irish and Scottish and other local tribes?  Last but not least, are there any Celtic coins that can be had for an inexpensive price?  I wouldn't mind having one if it's possible :laugh:  Post any info about Celts or their coins here, if you should have any info you want to post. :)

Thanks,
Andrew

EDIT:  Also post anything or tips on acquiring other forms of Celtic currency, like ring money, etc.  These I also find fascinating! :)

Offline frederic

• Consul
Re: Celtic Coins
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 06:02:08 am »
Hi, the celtic coinage is one of my area (with hasmonean coinage and sevaran denarii)

The celtic world was very large and has very changed during the 5 century BC to 4 century BC. The name Celt was known by the greek. The celt were living in tribs who were autonomous and had jointly together art culture and langage ( Brittonic on continent and south England, Gaelic in Irland and north England). The roman called the celt : Gallic, iberic or briton.

The celtic coinage has began with greek imitation on 3 century BC in central europe. And after in Gaul (France), Iberia (Hispania) and Transpadane (north Italia) a large coinage were product during the second century BC to the roman conquest. The knowledge of this coinage is difficult ( there were no celtic writting), and incomplete. During longtime, the numismats wanted tribs attribution, but now they prefere geographic localisation attribution.

The price of celtic coin can be cheap to prohibitive. They’re lot of dealer of celtic coin. I think the price is cheapest with the french dealer for the gallic coinage (who is the most varied).  I can’t give the name of the mine on this forum, but if you are interesting I can create a topic in adapted forum.

Best regards

frederic

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re: Celtic Coins
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 03:54:11 pm »
I can't speak for other areas, but a lot of the last Celitc coinage struck in Britain is inscribed, doubtless due to increasing Roman influence. Cunobelinus, for instance, put CUNOBELIN and similar on his coins.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity