Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: midieval ? id help  (Read 1231 times)

Offline Carolus Magnus

• Praetorian
midieval ? id help
« on: August 26, 2006, 04:34:04 pm »
This coin was found in a batch of uncleaned  Possibly from Yugoslavia. 13.36 mm in size quite thin, and .9 grams in weight. It appears to be silver or billon under the crud so I need to be positive of what I have before I clean it. Side 1 has a kingly looking little guy with an upraised sword, and side 2 apears to have a stylistic lion standing left. Any help would be appreciated, as this is not my area of interest. This was hard to photograph, so I hope the pic is ok.
                                                                                  Thanks
                                                                                                 Chuck T

Offline irish

• Consul
  • Look To Cydonia Plain
    • fix the moon
Re: midieval ? id help
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 02:18:49 pm »
Along the left side of the king, starting at bottom reading upward, are the letters: REIDE  ?

Also how is the lion oriented in reference to obverse?  Most of the crusader types that might resemble this have the lion with his tail down or at 5oclock, and a cross around his snout at top of coin, a matter of orientation...your lion looks different but that could be local variation too.  Is there a cross near the snout of this lion?

if you can get any of the letters from right side of emperor, reading from head down is his name.

on the reverse any letters you can spot clearly may give indication of city/state.  the letters are the key on this coin i think.

I am thinking its a billon coin, but cannot be sure.  It may be the actual coin which some of the crusaders were imitations of, and I only have the crusader book.  They mention Billon Denier, AR Gros and half gros, and AR soldino among the coins of cyprus and jerusalem which have similar kings and lions, but only similar not right on or even near right on.

here is a lightened up and sharpened pix of your coin:

Detritus, detritus, detritus...ad infinitum...

Helmet

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 07:01:44 pm »
Hello

This Coins is from Serbia

Despot Djuradj (George) Brankovic (1402-1412 Lord of Kosovo) - (1427-1456 Despot of Serbia)
Obvers:Djuradj standing, in cloak and crown, w/ drawn sword and gl. cruciger, Serbian legend: DESPOT DJURDJ
Rev.: Lion (heraldic symbol of the Brankovic family) legend is possible
SMDRVO for Smederevo
RUDNIK for Rudnik
NV BRD for Novo Brdo
but is very bad pictures i can not read exactly.

Reference M.Jovanovic 42.33-37

or here

http://www.serbianunity.net/culture/history/Serbian_Medieval_Coinage/present/Despot_Djuradj_Brankovic.html

best regards
Daniel

Offline Carolus Magnus

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 01:01:52 am »
Wow!

Thank you very much Daniel. Yes, the picture is pretty bad. I am surprised you could ID it. After I clean it I will try to post a better one. Do you have an idea of the type of metal the coin is made of? This would be a great help in knowing how to clean it.

Best Regards
                                                                                                    Chuck T

Helmet

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 09:18:48 am »
No problem.
as far as i know is this coin from silver, but is it possible a mix from silver and an other metall, but the silver % is very high.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity