Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Clueless Medieval Islamic Collector Needs Help  (Read 1399 times)

Offline irish

• Consul
  • Look To Cydonia Plain
    • fix the moon
Clueless Medieval Islamic Collector Needs Help
« on: August 24, 2006, 09:13:02 am »
Good Day Gentlemen, and to any Ladies who might happen by.  I have been collecting and dealing with ancient bronzes for some years now.  Mostly I am a conservator interested in obtaining and correctly preserving metal-detector finds.  Over the last 8 years or so I have collected and conserved 60 or 70 Medieval Islamic coins that I would surely appreciate some help with.  My books all deal with Roman, Greek, and Byzantine coinages, and my experience in the main is Byzantine.  I will gladly reciprocate with information from my expertise, and have already attempted to do so here at the byzantine section of the discussion board.  I will post a couple coins of the islamic variety today and see what the response is.  As the situation stands now, I am nearly 100% ignorant concerning these Islamic issues and their varieties.  I should hope my training will happen through these discussions, and by reading older posts here, as time proceeds.  I will at last be able to search out the correct reference books, at the  very least!  If this practice I am attempting is acceptable, to discuss and gain identity of these coins,  that would be wonderful.  Conversely, if this practice is unacceptable, please advise.  Thank you for your time and attention.  Yours Truly in Numismatics, Bill Gallagher.  The scale is mm.
Detritus, detritus, detritus...ad infinitum...

Offline irish

• Consul
  • Look To Cydonia Plain
    • fix the moon
Re: Clueless Islamic Coin Collector Needs Help
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 09:22:32 am »
Post #2. 082406.

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
Re: Clueless Medieval Islamic Collector Needs Help
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 06:21:10 pm »
Hi

The above coin is an Ottoman AR Akce minted under Murad I. These are fairly early Ottoman Akces. Murad I was the first Ottoman Sultan and he was the one who declared the Ottomans as an empire. The 2 rulers before him were Beys and had the title of Ghazi (veteran) ie Osman Ghazi and Orhan Ghazi. Murad I is the son on Orhan Ghazi.

The below coin is a Half AR Dirham of the Mamluk empire, but I would need a better image to ID it fully.

Best wishes,
Burak

Offline irish

• Consul
  • Look To Cydonia Plain
    • fix the moon
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 08:13:25 pm »
Thank you very much Burak!  When you say AR, does that include billon?  the coins appear copper or bronze.

How should I prepare a better image, should it be bigger?

Thank you again this is of immense help.

bill

Offline irish

• Consul
  • Look To Cydonia Plain
    • fix the moon
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 11:00:44 pm »
#3.  And what is the recommended reference for ottoman coins such as these, please? 

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 07:40:22 am »
Hi Bill

You may would like to read this post
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=19100.0

If you would like to buy the standard reference books please send me a PM. I have some extra.

The first ottoman akce looks like silver.
The Mamluk may be billion I cant see it from the image.

With better image I mean larger and correct orientation of the obverse and reverse.
Please follow this thread for more information
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=27956.0

Best wishes,
Burak

All coins are guaranteed for eternity