Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Indo Sasanian help needed  (Read 2130 times)

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Indo Sasanian help needed
« on: August 23, 2006, 10:48:28 pm »
Good evening, all,

I was recently given this coin, which I believe to be Indo Sasanian.  I have seen these before, but I cannot seem to find much information on line. Does anyone have an idea to date, denomination, catalogue number, description, etc? This coin weighs 4.37 g and is 15.1 mm at its widest.

I appreciate the help,

Tom
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
Re: Indo Sasanian help needed
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 01:14:23 am »
These are common coins from India.  They are based on Indo-Sasanian coins but they really are not.  When I get home from work, I will give you a reference for this coin.

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 07:24:12 am »
This is a Gadhaiya Paisa made by the Chaulukyas of Gujarat.  It is a billon coin.  It is a anonymous coin late in the series which was made between 1120-1210 AD.  Your coin is Deyell 159 in his book Living Without Silver.

The obverse has a very stylized crowned head facing right, partly off the flan on your coin.  Most of the facial features have geometric patterns.  The reverse is a fire altar flanked by attendants, both of which have become lines and dots.

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 04:58:21 pm »
Howard, thanks for your help, I knew you'd have the answer.  It's funny though, I'd always seen these attributed to the Indo Sasanians...are these imitating a type from the Sasanians?  (OK, I mean other than the obvious fire altar and attendents...)  I guess that's why I couldn't find examples during my Indo Sasanian search.

Thanks  again,
Tom
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 08:38:33 pm »
I not sure if they imitate a particular ruler or not.  I would have to look in my references and see what they say.  They are removed from the Sasanians by 200 to 300 years so they may not.

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 05:04:59 am »
Deyell and Mitchiner believe that these are copies of coins that are copying Hephthalite coins, which are copying Sasanian coins.  So, no I don't think you can point to one coin type as the prototype for these coins.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity