Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Indo Sasanian help needed  (Read 2129 times)

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Indo Sasanian help needed
« on: August 23, 2006, 10:48:28 pm »
Good evening, all,

I was recently given this coin, which I believe to be Indo Sasanian.  I have seen these before, but I cannot seem to find much information on line. Does anyone have an idea to date, denomination, catalogue number, description, etc? This coin weighs 4.37 g and is 15.1 mm at its widest.

I appreciate the help,

Tom
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
Re: Indo Sasanian help needed
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 01:14:23 am »
These are common coins from India.  They are based on Indo-Sasanian coins but they really are not.  When I get home from work, I will give you a reference for this coin.

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 07:24:12 am »
This is a Gadhaiya Paisa made by the Chaulukyas of Gujarat.  It is a billon coin.  It is a anonymous coin late in the series which was made between 1120-1210 AD.  Your coin is Deyell 159 in his book Living Without Silver.

The obverse has a very stylized crowned head facing right, partly off the flan on your coin.  Most of the facial features have geometric patterns.  The reverse is a fire altar flanked by attendants, both of which have become lines and dots.

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 04:58:21 pm »
Howard, thanks for your help, I knew you'd have the answer.  It's funny though, I'd always seen these attributed to the Indo Sasanians...are these imitating a type from the Sasanians?  (OK, I mean other than the obvious fire altar and attendents...)  I guess that's why I couldn't find examples during my Indo Sasanian search.

Thanks  again,
Tom
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 08:38:33 pm »
I not sure if they imitate a particular ruler or not.  I would have to look in my references and see what they say.  They are removed from the Sasanians by 200 to 300 years so they may not.

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 05:04:59 am »
Deyell and Mitchiner believe that these are copies of coins that are copying Hephthalite coins, which are copying Sasanian coins.  So, no I don't think you can point to one coin type as the prototype for these coins.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity