Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My first thread: Sasanid? Arabo-Sasanid? Or fake??  (Read 2740 times)

Offline divus

• Legionary
My first thread: Sasanid? Arabo-Sasanid? Or fake??
« on: November 09, 2006, 05:17:58 pm »
Hello all together!

This is my first activity on the American coins forum and I hope I will do everything properly.

I am very interested but really not an expert in Oriental coinage and only armed with some (very) small basic knowlegdge.

I have found this interesting coin which I can't identify.

Seems like an Arabo-Sasanian drachm. What makes me headaches is the missing crescents/stars on reverse.

Is is genuine?
Is it an "barbarized" imitation?

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re: My first thread: Sasanid? Arabo-Sasanid? Or fake??
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 06:11:14 pm »
Khusro II, mint BYS (Bishapur). The marginal lettering in the overse means approximately 'Wonderful', referring, obviously, to Khusro.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline divus

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 06:19:37 pm »
Hi Robert,

thank you!

So this coin is Sasanian not post-sasanian?
Is it a scarcer type without these crescents/stars on reverse?

Manzikert

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 07:00:04 pm »
Hi divus, Robert

The obverse marginal legend is actually 'bismallah', in the name of Allah, and the date appears to be year 48, so this would *seem* to be an early Islamic issue using the types of Khusru II. Walker illustrates a Bishapur year 48 coin on pl.IV, no.6.

However, I have never seen (and can't find in Walker's 'Arab-Sasanian' catalogue or any other of my references) a coin without the stars and crescents on the reverse. Also, the engraving is a bit too sloppy, and there is a general 'fuzziness' to the coin, so I suspect it is a (probably modern) forgery.

The person to take a look at it and give you a more definite answer (I certainly don't claim to be an expert on these myself) would probably be Tom Mallon-McCorgray whose email is tkmallon-mccorgray@grifterrec.com and whose page on Sasanian coins is at http://www.grifterrec.com/coins/sasania/sasanian.html

Best wishes

Alan

Offline divus

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 07:19:55 pm »
Salve Manzikert,

thank you!

By the way, I have forgotten the technical data:

silver (?, sounds like),
weight 5,02g (pretty heavy... too heavy?)
diameter ca. 27mm.

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 12:33:33 am »
This does look a Khusraw type from the Bishapur mint, maybe year 51.  But the weight condems it as a fake.  A coin that weight 5.02 grams would not appeared clipped on the obverse as this coin does.  Clipped coins are usually around 2 to 3 grams.  A full weight Arab-Sasanian coin is usually around 3.2 grams, with the heavy ones coming in at a little under 4.2 grams for the Bishapur mint (the heaviest Khusraw type from this mint is listed at 4.07 listed in SICA Vol. 1).

Offline divus

• Legionary
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 12:13:56 pm »
Hello Howard,

thank you!
I have already had the feeling, that this is not genuine coin...

Thanks to all for your comments!

tkmallon

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 12:31:06 pm »
Probably a fake.  Looks wrong.  Ideogram GDH engraved strangely. Could be a contemporary imitation, I guess.  I'd have to see it up close.  Can't remember ever seeing an A-S drachm without star/crescents in the reverse margin.

What it alleges to be: Arab-Sasanian, Khusro II type, BYSh, year 48
legend: bism allah rabbi

tom mallon-mccorgray

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 04:11:18 pm »
Hi Tom,

I didn't even notice that there were no stars and crescents on the reverse margins.  Another point agianst this coin.

Howard

Offline DruMAX

• Caesar
  • Pecunia non olet
    • Cache Coins
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 04:33:35 pm »

here is one I have for the same king...I would have the slightest clue if it were fake or not.

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 08:42:39 pm »
Yes, this is a real one.  I believe the mint is BYS and the date might be either 29 or 26 (not really sure, but someone will correct me.)

arsia

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 06:10:29 am »
I agree with Howard, Mint Place is Bishapur, Year 26
regards
Arsia

All coins are guaranteed for eternity