Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New Sassanian Album  (Read 1820 times)

Offline Ginolerhino

• Consul
    • My gallery :
New Sassanian Album
« on: August 14, 2006, 07:46:27 am »
Hello
I just posted a small album of 1 Parthian and 7 Sassanian dirhams I got in Syria and Iran.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1126
Unfortunately I am very far from being an expert, and I can't read Pahlavi. Are the attributions right ? Is it possible to know the mints and reign years ?
Thank you in advance.

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
Re: New Sassanian Album
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 08:38:31 am »
For the most of the Sasanian coins you have posted, it should be possible to read the mint and date on them.  Most likely someone will beat me to it since it late at night here and I am going to bed soon.

It looks like you have your attributions correct, but I only spent a few minutes looking at the coins.

Tom's website has information about reading Sasanian dates and mints.  See the following thread to get to his site.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=29281.0

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 04:37:16 pm »
Nice coins. I really must get one of the Taxidermist!
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Ginolerhino

• Consul
    • My gallery :
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 08:28:06 pm »
I wish my Shapur I dirham was better than the one I posted. There is somebody on this forum who recently posted a wonderful dirham of that great shah.

Shapur is my favorite Sassanian king. When he was young, he was an idealist. He made peace with the Romans under Philip the Arab, built the new city of Bishapur and much developed south-western Iran with the help of the Romans. He respected and protected religious minorities, like Jews and Christians, at a time when Trajan Decius and Valerian launched all-out persecutions against them. He gave Mani the right to teach and preach anywhere in his empire, and never let the mobedhs (the ayatollahs of his time) dictate him his decisions.

arsia

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 04:55:53 am »
Nice Coins, I have added some ideas to the comments.
Regards
Arsia

Offline Ginolerhino

• Consul
    • My gallery :
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 09:25:13 am »
Thank you all for your comments.
I have just been adding 17 small AE drachms from Elymais. I suppose they were minted in Susa. Their average condition is not that good, but there are some that look nice.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity