Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My first medieval silver coin with detector !!!  (Read 1416 times)

Bohemond

My first medieval silver coin with detector !!!
« on: August 20, 2006, 05:49:38 am »
Hi all,

This is my very first medieval silver denarius found with metaldetector. I can tell you it gives much more satisfaction than when you buy it at an auction  ;D

Aleydis of Burgundy ( 1261-1268 ); regent of duchy of Brabant ( Low Countries, now part of Belgium )
Coin: AR denier. 12 mm. Louvain mint (1261/1267). Obv. climbing lion of Brabant to the left in shield of little pearls. N left, V right standing for Nobilis Vidua ( noble widow ). Rev. B-A-S-T, windmill type cross.
Ref. Vanhoudt G50; De Witte 72; Ghyssens p.7; De Coster Pl VIII 137.

Life: Married to Henri III in 1251 she became a widow on February 23 1261. Her 3 sons and daughter were all minor at that time. The eldest son Henri was found too incompetent to assume the role of duke so Aleydis decided that her second son Jan would inherit the duchy. Aleydis refused any male regent as was customary and settled down to rule Brabant for 7 years preparing her son who was to become one of the strongest dukes of Brabant.

You should have seen my smile and triumphant walk back to the car yesterday after I found this coin. When I showed it to my gf she mistook the lion on the coin for a bunny...women!!!  ::)

Bohemond

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
Re: My first medieval silver coin with detector !!!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 06:38:09 am »
Congratulations!
Searching with a metal detector seems to be legal or officially accepted whre you live.

A.

Bohemond

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 04:15:59 pm »
Hi Arminius

Yes in Belgium you can freely walk around with metaldetectors as long as you don't exercise the hobby in areas that are classified as national heritage or archeological sites. After years of hostile remarks from archeologists seeing us as pillars we now came to an agreement that shows mutual respect and puts metal detecting at service of archeology by reporting all our valuable finds into a database. Digs have been organized based on reported finds from detectorists. This coin will be reported as are all my medieval finds on my website. You naturally stay the owner of the finds and allow archeologists to contact you if they want to have a closer look at it. Sofar they haven't though  :'(

My medieval finds sofar : http://users.pandora.be/medievalcoins/Detector.htm

Rgds

Bohemond  ;)

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 07:55:43 am »
Great; that's another country handling detecting sensibly!
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity