Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: early mediaeval engraved silver disk  (Read 925 times)

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
early mediaeval engraved silver disk
« on: August 10, 2006, 02:37:48 pm »
As well as being a fervent collector of ancient coins, I am an archaeologist and as such people come to me with all kinds of finds for determination.
The object in the picture measures about 25 mms and is a uniface engraving of the head of.....
Behind the head are three lilly-formed objects which might be the end of a stylised Christian cross.
Behind that is a kind of portal decorated with a plant-motive. The background consists of a crossed lines pattern.
From the title of this thread it is clear that it probably concerns a very old object, directly related to the Viking era.
So far the following objects have been found: three early English silver coins
Penny of Ceonoth of Canterbury,
Penny of king AEthelwulf,
Penny of king Aethelred.
A Moorish silver dirhem from spain, A Viking tradesweight and a ditto piece of jewelry, consisting of interloping rings.
Last, but not least, a pommel and a parry of an early-mediaeval sword.
If this object is somehow linked to these finds, it would be archaeological sensation in Holland as figurative art from this period is extremely rare.
That's why I am posting it here, apart from the fact that I consider you to be a collective of great minds on the subject of numismatics and related areas.

Frans

Lawrence Woolslayer

Re: early mediaeval engraved silver disk
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 04:38:03 am »
bump

All coins are guaranteed for eternity