Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: How the Lepton became a Mite  (Read 2180 times)

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
How the Lepton became a Mite
« on: August 06, 2006, 06:55:00 pm »
In, probably, the 70's AD, a Jew who we might as well call by his conventional name of Mark, was writing the story of a martyred Messiah called Yeshua ben-Yosef, ben-Mariam, or, perhaps, occasionally, ben-El. In Greek he was called Iesous, and, eventually, in English translation, Jesus. He wrote for a Romanised audience with little knowledge of Palestine, so he told his stories in language which would be familiar to them. Telling the story of a poor widow who gave all she had, he wrote mia xhra ptwxh ebalen lepta duo o estin kodrantes; 'One poor widow threw in two lepta, which make a quadrans'. The quadrans was the smallest Roman coin, and a prutah, the standard Judean small copper, was probably the equivalent in value. The lepton, the smallest Judean coin, was probably worth half a prutah. So he gives the woman a sum of money equivalent in value to the smallest coin which would be familiar to his readers, and carefully translates the value in order to be certain that they would understand. She doesn't even have a prutah, she has to put in two lepta, so she really is destitute.

During the reign of Henry VIII, an English Protestant named William Tyndale, living in exile on the Continent, used an underground press to produce the first printed English New Testament, which came out in 1526. He translated this as '... A certayne povre widow, and she threwe in two mytes, whiche mayke a farthynge'. Most of us doubtless know what a farthing was; a quarter of a 'real', pre-decimal, British penny. A mite was a small Flemish coin of the time which circulated at three to the Flemish penny. It was never an official English coin, but was used in the Channel ports as a unit of account, at values which varied from place to place, from a twelth to a sixty-fourth of a penny. So it was familiar as the smallest possible unit of account. Tyndale smuggled his New Testaments into the port of London, where the Bishop during Mary's reign, stupid man, busily bought up as many as he could and burnt them, thus providing a profit which enabled the printing of even more. He may have used the value in use there, but I haven't been able to verify this.

His work was used as the basis for later translations, including the Authorised, which leant very heavily on his translation. This, of course. came out in 1611, in the reign of James I. Tensions in the English church exploded in the reign of his son Charles I, making it impossible to agree on another official translation. So, unfortunately, the English Bible became set in stone until the Revised Version was published in 1885. To this day many fundamentalist churches vociferously insist on using it, with the result that the lepton is still frequently known by the name of a far more obscure coin.

Be honest, how many of you knew what a mite really was? It took some trouble to find out! Anyone got one? Here's a link to a page with a pic of a double mite, which is the nearest I've been able to find http://archeologie.antwerpen.be/en/virtueel/objecten-detail.asp?id=370 .
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

His Star

Re: How the Lepton became a Mite
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 05:34:11 pm »
Be honest, how many of you knew what a mite really was? It took some trouble to find out! Anyone got one?  Robert_Brenchley

My first coin was a mite.  When I went to Israel I bought one from a jeweler.  My friend mounted it in gold.  My second trip to Israel I bought a mite already mounted in silver and the Abdagases Tetradrachm coin, (which I thought was Azes II )
In fact it was the numismatists on this forum that identified the Abagasas coin.

Your story on the mite was very interesting, thank you for posting!

Here are my two mites:

Offline Scotvs Capitis

• Conservator Princeps
  • Caesar
  • This space intentionally left blank
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 06:42:01 pm »
Mr. Brenchley, fascinating work. I love it!

I will be directing folks to this post since I often find myself attempting to explain that there really wasn't a "mite" in Biblical terms - a couple of my rather stubborn and less-read fellow Christians have accused me of denying the Bible, yet they don't have a clue how it has been handed down nor do they understand basic hermeneutics. I'll see if this will clear it up for these couple of hard-headed but good hearted folk.

It makes me sad that many professing Christians are so ignorant (and comfortably so) of the Bible and its context.
SCOTVS CAPITIS - Hovstonoplis Tex
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 08:02:03 pm »
Same here. If you're in the US, you have a probably harder time than I do, and it's difficult enough here. At least most people on this side of the Atlantic realise that the Bible wasn't written in English!
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 04:45:44 pm »
Hi Robert!

I too want to say you Thanks for the nice work!

In German the mite is called 'Scherflein'. In the Middle Ages the 'Scherf' was a low-value silver coin, at a later date from copper too, with the value of a half Pfennig. It was called Schärff too meaning 'sharp' Pfennig. It was struck only rarely, at last 1777 in Lüneburg, because - if it was required - a Pfennig piece could be cut trouble-free. The name Scherf was derived from the lat. scripulum. It changed from scrip over scirp and scerp to the Old High German Scerpf from which Scherf is coming.

The term 'Scherflein' is known until now in the phrase 'sein Scherflein zu etwas beitragen = adding ones mite to something', invented by Martin Luther in his Bible translation, meaning 'to do ones best'.

Source: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scherf

Best regards

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 04:59:22 pm »
Excellent research, Robert!

As you already said, the 'mijt' originated in 15th century Flanders, where it was struck until 1467. Apparently it was known in the Northern Netherlands as well as half of a 'penning', which was 1/24 of a 'groot' and 1/48 of a 'stuiver'
There is an expression for an extremely thrifty person as 'een mijtsplijter' (a mite-splitter).

Frans

All coins are guaranteed for eternity