Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: University of Pennsylvania's MUseum of Archaeology and Anthropology Coin Exhibit  (Read 2256 times)

Offline cwonsidler

• Praetorian
    • My Gallery
I went to this museum this year for a Latin field trip and was throughly impressed. The museum is a small one but I found the exhibits extremely interesting. The Roman section did not have very many coins, but the ones there were of great quality. The Greek section however, has a whole wall devoted to Greek coins and I was definitely impressed by this exhibit. I could have spent most of the day just looking at this exhibit, but unfortunately my classmates were not as interested in ancient coins as I am and I did not get to spend much time with the exhibits. The gift shop also sold some authentic silver Greek coins. I would like to go back again to spend some more time there, for the exhibits were very good. I was wondering if anyone else has been the Univeristy of Pennsylvania's Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology. I would highly recommend a visit to the museum for coin enthusiasts and ancient history buffs because the Greek and Roman coin exhibits are excellent despite being small and the ancient history exhibits there dealing also with Asian, American, Mayan, and Egyptian history contain many great artifacts and information.

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
You are so right.  But it's (good grief!) 35 years since I was there, and they didn't have a wall of Greek coins then.  I have put it on my list for my next travels.  It is everything a university museum ought to be.  Pat L.

Offline museumguy

• Caesar
  • I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.
Like Pat, its been a long time since I visited this museum.  However, I can tell you its a world class operation.  They have a very good staff who is extremely devoted to their work as well as communicating their findings to both the scientific community and general public.  Check out their website at http://www.museum.upenn.edu/.  They've got some materials in their collections (not just Greek and Roman) that definately have the "wow" factor.  Visiting with your class is great but clearly you need some alone time with this collection to get the full impact.

Steve

Offline cwonsidler

• Praetorian
    • My Gallery
It definitely was an amazing museum and right now I am trying to convince my parents to visit there so I can spend some more time at the different exhibits.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity