Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Mintmarks of Russian Wire Kopecks  (Read 2358 times)

Aamil Qureshi

Mintmarks of Russian Wire Kopecks
« on: July 21, 2006, 01:23:37 am »
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had any information of  mintmarks used on the silver wire coinage of Ivan the Terrible, and on what these mintmarks are, and where on the coin to find them, if possible. The reason why is that I am trying to learn about the silver coinage of this period in Russian history. I came across a silver kopeck of Ivan the Terrible a couple months back that was in a paper envelope where the label attributed the coin's origin to the Pskov mint. Thank you very much.

Aamil. :)

Manzikert

Re: Mintmarks of Russian Wire Kopecks
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 06:19:55 pm »
Hi Aamil

The Pskov coins of Ivan should have  :Greek_Pi: C between the horse's legs while Moscow and Novgorod ones have moneyer's initials in the same place (anything *except* :Greek_Pi: C ).

It isn't until the reign of Feodor Ivanovich (1584-1598) that the Moscow coins have M or MO, and Novgorod ones have N or NO.

Best wishes

Alan

Aamil Qureshi

Re: Mintmarks of Russian Wire Kopecks
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 02:32:41 am »
Thanks Alan,  that really helped me out alot! :) I tried to find the information about early Czarist mints at this time in Russian history on the internet, and didn't find anything.  :( Yet once again thank you for helping me out!
Sincerely,
Aami :Greek_Lambda:.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity