Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Anybody digg ancient coins?  (Read 85248 times)

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
Re: Anybody digg ancient coins?
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2006, 09:07:36 pm »
Hi,

I posted this already in the "Identification help" section but I thought it would be worthwhile repeating the post here.

If the exergue reads ANXI or ANXII then it is almost certainly Trajan Decius. The numbers refer to the years since Viminacium was awarded the status of Colonia. This took place c.A.D.239 in the reign of Gordian III. So for example XII + 239 = 251 = Trajan Decius  :laugh: .

Alex.

Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2006, 01:45:03 pm »
Hello again.
This is what i dugg today,medieval silver ring.I dugg one more,probably Turkish medieval silver ring,but not so pretty,and also 4 coins-2 Roman and 2 medieval.

ps.Can anybody help me and send me some batteries for White`s Eagle Spectrum?It is imposible to find it in this part of Europe and i cant explain how dificult is to buy something from any part of the world.
Thanks

Offline Carolus Magnus

• Praetorian
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2006, 08:25:03 pm »
If I remember correctly, White's used to sponsor a trip to England for I believe 2 weeks. It included the whole ball of wax. Airfare, hotel and it was even guided. They had various estates, and fields that they aquired permission to hunt on. Once again, I am remembering this from a few years back. I believe I saw a writeup on this in one of the detecting magazines, Treasure, Lost Treasure, something like that. It stands out, because I was considering it at the time. If your wife didn't hunt, they even set up shopping trips for them while you were out in the field. If they still do this, I am sure they run ads in those magazines. Possibly a letter to the editor would put you on the right track
                                                                                                Chuck T

Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2006, 02:14:47 pm »
Hello
Today 14 smal Ae coins,2 worn antoninian,1 worn as-probably Nerva.
Also i found fragment of silver fibula with spring.
Here is that Nerva coin,and if anybody want to see silver fibula fragment i will post that tomorow.
I am 2 tired nowwwwwwwww.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

AncientCoins

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2006, 06:07:23 pm »
That's an amazing knife.... it almost looks like a straight razor for shaving! :)  Or it could be one of those harvesting blades you always see Celts with in the movies, usually look more sickle-like, though.  Regardless, it's simply amazing... :o

That as definitely looks like Nerva to me.

Please post the silver fibula fragment! ;D

Andrew

Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2006, 04:42:44 pm »
Some Roman stuff dugg recently.Is it interested?

Offline Roma_Orbis

• Consul
  • ad avgvsta per angvsta
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2006, 05:20:05 pm »
 :o never repair silver! natural only, me too ;D

Jérôme

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2006, 02:59:36 am »
Depends what you mean by 'fixing'. If you mean cleaning, fine. But never interfere with the original surface of the metal.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2006, 03:56:50 am »
Now Vespasian's hair looks wrong (and so do a couple of other details).  The relationship of the hair marks to the laurel-leaf marks is wrong.  It is inconsistent with Greco-Roman art.  Anti-illusionistic.  Too far in the direction of detail über alles, which is a trait of "primitive" arts.  Alien to Greco-Roman rendering.  For me, if I saw it for sale, I'd regard it as a ruined coin.  Tell the Antique guy, sorry, but...!  Pat L.

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2006, 04:02:24 pm »
Quote from: Marcus Aurelius on October 09, 2006, 04:42:44 pm
Some Roman stuff dugg recently.Is it interested?

I always enjoy looking at the things you dig up!  ;D

Quote from: Marcus Aurelius on October 09, 2006, 05:02:36 pm
This beautiful coin belong to my friend.He was worn a little bit and one Antique master fix his hair under microscope.
What do you think about that?Fix coins or not?I prefer not to,and my coins are 100 % intact and autentic.
It is for me like boobs job.I prefer natural.Lol

:o horror. Fix coins or not? Definitely NOT. I really hope your Antique master does not get any better, it would be very worrying.

Alex.

Offline Jerome Holderman

• Caesar
  • My name is Jerome, and I am a coinaholic!
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2006, 06:48:48 pm »
Marcus, I just look at these items you find in amazement , and daydream about living someplace where I could find such facinating items!

Thanks for sharing them!!

Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2006, 04:38:51 pm »
Hello again.
Today i dugg this 2 beautiful coins,among 15.There was 2 medieval hungarian, 13 Roman AE-forth century,and this 2.
First i tought sestertius is IULIA MAMEA.But letters on the left side are forged very shallow.On the right side i can see AVGUSTA.On the obverse i can se in exerque SC,and AVGUSTAE on the right side.Is it JULIA MAMEA?
I tought silver coin is medieval Hungarian,but maybe it is medieval Serbian.Theres a lion on obverse.Anybody can help?

Offline Jerome Holderman

• Caesar
  • My name is Jerome, and I am a coinaholic!
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2006, 07:51:59 am »
Another excellent find Marcus!

Offline Jeremy W

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2006, 04:44:18 pm »
Wow, that's all I can say.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Jeremy

Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2006, 02:49:14 pm »
Hello
I hunt today about 3 hours,and i dugg 8 small Ae-coins and one denar.
Here it is:TRAIAN

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2006, 02:56:53 pm »
Is that as it came out of the ground, or was it cleaned? Just curious.
PeteB

Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2006, 05:14:21 pm »
Recently i found two denari from Vespasian,one after another.Now i found another Trajan denar.Is it coincidence?I hope Otho will be next one.Or Pertinax.

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2006, 08:43:09 pm »
Both denarii are very respectable. What nice finds!

basemetal

« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2006, 01:17:57 am »
Wow Marcus!  To think you can just go out and dig up such coins.
But I think it's not as simple as that.  Even though the possibility of such finds would motivate many of us.  Marcus  must get up if not every day, most days, regardless of the weather,  and travel a greater or lesser distance, decide where to dig-not a simple process. 
If I were let loose on the Serbian countryside with no guide or knowledge of the "lay of the land", I'd metal detect for a few hours and then say:
"To hell with this.  All that rubbish about finding coins here is just bull." And then go home.
It takes a lot more than just "going out" hunting to yield finds. 
Research,  listening to the locals,  knowing if a place is "right" or not, all count.
So does going out on a cold, rainy morning, and finding nothing, but going out again the next day not being discouraged. 
In the Serbian countryside there are also individuals who rather than dig coins on their own may decide to target a "successful" hunter and relieve him of his finds at gunpoint.
True, Marcus shows us amazing finds.  But he does not just "stroll out in sight of his house" and find these things.  No great profit is without great risk. In one form or another good things are found with great effort.

Offline awl

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2006, 09:45:58 pm »
Do you look for them everyday?

Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2006, 04:08:10 pm »
Do you look for them everyday?

Not everyday.I hunt coins 10 - 15 times in one month in the fields near my town.About 10 - 50 km around.

Here is my new denar:My namesake Marcus Aurelius,one of my favourite Emperor.
That coins was burned long,long time ago.I cant clean it all the way.But maybe that is the point.
It is 100 % autentic and unique becouse of it.
Any comment Basemetal,my friend?

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2006, 04:13:00 pm »
"Here is my new denar:My namesake Marcus Aurelius"

It looks like Antoninus Pius to my old eyes.
PeteB

Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2006, 04:47:24 pm »
Sorry Pete,my mystake.I am obviously very tired those days.Sure it is Antoninus Pius,also one of my favourite.
But i have one Marcus Aurelius here in my hand.Thats why i make that mystake.

basemetal

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2006, 01:57:39 am »
Marcus Aurelieus:
What a lovely couple of coins.  Sad you'll have to sell them to blackmarket middlemen.
They would bring much in the West.
Do not denigrate Marcus about the Marcus Aurelius/Antinous Pius mistake.
I listed a coin for sale is such flowery poetic language recently I almost bought myself a drink.
However Marcus emailed me and said:
So very sorry Basemetal...I saw your auction site and ah...if I'm not mistaken...that is Trajan...not Hadrian.
ahhh....he was right.  Hey, Trajan, Hadrian ....they were all emperors right?...geeze..the embarassment.

Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2006, 02:16:29 pm »
I was so busy past few days:doughter birthday,fence painting,fixing my dogs box...(he outburst it and jump on my neighbour girl dog).Damn he is pretty much like his boss.So i did not hunt much.
But theres a few ceramics thing that i found on fields.
Pottery bottom,one Roman stone marble,and hmmmmmmmmm,i think it is stone for sharping knives,or some fishing net stones.I realy dont know.What do you think?Actualy it is not made of stone.It is baking clay.
Regards

All coins are guaranteed for eternity