Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Vacuum cleaner to clean coins?? Oooo  (Read 1383 times)

legio_gemina

Vacuum cleaner to clean coins?? Oooo
« on: June 26, 2006, 05:55:12 am »
 Hello people,

just find out this in a ebay auction:

" Here's a useful hint:  To cut your soaking time use any method possible to force water or oil to penetrate the dirt faster.  If you have vacuum jars or bags you can fill with water or oil and your coins then pump the air out using your vacuum cleaner, the pressure will force the liquid into dirt faster.  Kind of like marinating meat!  "

please someone could explain me this?? I've heard some funny ways to clean coins, but this is the oddest ever. I didn't understand the mechanism, anyway.

Legio

Offline Jerome Holderman

• Caesar
  • My name is Jerome, and I am a coinaholic!
Re: Vacuum cleaner to clean coins?? Oooo
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 07:56:48 am »
Well.... I have never tried such a thing, but it does make some sense. If you remove the air, the voided space will be replaced with the water or oil....... Hmm, I will have to give this some thought.......

Offline quisquam

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 01:49:28 am »
If there is any positive effect at all I would expect it under pressure, and not vacuum.

Stefan

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 02:03:47 am »
Perhaps disallowing signatures for new members (like some other features already available only to participating members)
will help with this spam problem?
Andreas Reich

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 04:05:06 am »
Andreas, for pity's sake go back to the cigarettes. :)

What spam problem?

regards

Mark

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 04:08:38 am »
Too slow, Mark!  ;D
Andreas Reich

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 04:30:48 am »
Story of my life Andreas :D

Offline bruce61813

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 10:07:51 am »
It is not as silly as the it sounds. It does pull air out of the interstitial spaces of the coin or the dirt cover, and that will be filled by the water or oil. 

Here are the disclaimers

1. Oil has a high viscosity at normal room temperature, so to be more effective, it needs to be heated. that has been the problem with using olive oil, it may take a year just to penetrate 1 mm.

2. Water alone is often blocked from entering spaces because of its surface tension. The surface tension of water may be changed by using additives, most are the same as simple dish washing soap, or in the photographic world Photoflo .

3. Neither water nor oil are very compressible, for our use they are incompressible. The easiest way to remove the air from trapped pockets of a coins flan or crust is by using heat. Hence the use of boiling, the air expands and the bubble will release once it's bouncy overcomes the surface tension, this does leave a void, and it will be filled by the surrounding liquid. This speeds up the process.

4. Scrubbing : this removes old softened surfaces and allows the water or oil to 'attack' the the new area and continue the processes. However, the cleaning solution will become depleted, as the chemical balance changes, hence the need to change the oil, water or cleaning solution. At the start the solutions will saturate faster than later as the coin becomes cleaner, there is just less of the crud to dissolve.

These comments are somewhat simplified, but are accurate. The use of vacuum to clean coins would require a lab unit, capable to draw a vacuum of at least 30 inches of mercury or about 900 mm of mercury. That is about 90% of atmospheric pressure.

Bruce

too many coins - too little time!!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity