Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unpublished Elagabal Bronze from Alexandria Troas  (Read 2891 times)

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
Unpublished Elagabal Bronze from Alexandria Troas
« on: June 16, 2006, 06:43:08 am »
Elagabal AE24, 218-222 AD, Alexandria Troas.
Obv: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG, laureate and draped bust right, seen from rear.
Rev: COL ALEXA AVG, Marsyas on pedestal right, raising right, holding wine-skin over his shoulder with left.
Ø 22-24 mm, 7.28 g
Bellinger -, Hunter -, Leypold -, Lindgren -, SNG Aul. -, SNG Cop. -, SNG München -, SNG Tüb. -

This reverse, while well known for other emperors, appears to be unpublished for Elagabal. Bellinger, in his article "The Late Bronze of Alexandria Troas", ANS Museum Notes VIII, New York 1958, assings three coins of this reverse type (no. 58) to Elagabal, but that is an error. As we know from many other provincial coins, differentiating between Elagabal and Caracalla (when he was young) can be very difficult, but in the case of Alexandria Troas, we do have one advantage: during Caracalla's visit in 214 AD, the city changed the legends on its coins from COL AVG TROAD (or similar) to COL ALEX AVG (or similar). All coins with young portrait and reverse legend COL ALEX AVG thus can be assinged to Elagabalus, as coins from Caracalla that were struck after 214 AD do have a mature and bearded portrait. Bellinger noticed this when he worked on his Troy book and thus corrected the error he made in his article in the ANS MS, when he had three Caracalla coins attributed to Elagabal in error.

This coin with ANTONINVS PIVS AVG / young portrait on the obverse and with COL ALEXA AVG / Marsyas on the reverse must have been struck after 214 AD and thus makes it certain that it belongs to Elagabal.
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Unpublished Elagabal from Alexandria Troas
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 06:43:47 am »
I have noticed two obverse die matches so far, one from Pat's collection (Bellinger A317 var.) and one from Coinarchives (Bellinger A315).

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Nico Creces

Re: Unpublished Elagabal Bronze from Alexandria Troas
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 10:43:22 am »
A great find, Lars and a wonderfull coin.
You keep picking up interesting provincials, aren't you?  ;)
Find and post them here, Lars, so that we can enjoy them.
But not to much or I will envy you ;D.

Nico

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 01:36:56 am »
Great coin, Lars.  I have always had a fondness for this particular reverse type - though I would not wish to share his unfortunate fate at the hands of Apollo

Here is a one from Deultum with a very similar stance.

Ob. M OPEL ANTONINVS DIADV C - Bear headed and draped bust right
Rev. C F P D Satir Marsia naked with wine vessel
Ref. Moushmov 3578, Yurukova, Deultum 70
Size AE18

Malcolm

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 04:18:49 pm »
Thanks for your comments, guys! Me too, I like Marsyas as reverse type. I've got another one from the same mint, struck for Valerianus I. (I have shown it here before):

Valerianus AE20, Alexandria Troas.
Obv: IMP LIC VALERIAN[…], laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind.
Rev: (COL AV)G TROAD, nude, bearded Marsyas standing right, wine-skin over left shoulder, raising his right hand.
Ø 20 mm, 4.15 g
Bellinger A443, Type 58

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

All coins are guaranteed for eternity