Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Elymais Tetradrachm!  (Read 1994 times)

mashya

Elymais Tetradrachm!
« on: May 26, 2006, 05:52:33 pm »
I have just landed with a beautiful Elymais Tetra drachm
29 mm; 15.60 grams
I believe it to be Orodes I
i checked parthia.com and i found this match.
The one on top is mine and the one on bottom is parthia.com's

Thanks

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
Re: Elymais Tetradrachm!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 12:29:16 am »
Your coin is not the same as the one from Parthia.com.  Note the hair style is different and there is an inscription in front of the bust.  The one on parthia.com is much rarer than your coin.

Your coin is most likely Kamnaskires C or D, De Mogran 17 or 19.  It is listed in Sear's Greek Imperial Coins and Their Values as number 5889.  Your coin is in very poor shape on the reverse.  I hope you didn't pay more than $60 to $80 (I don't think I would even pay that much for a specimen in the shape yours is in).  I own 4 or 5 of these AE tetradrachms.

mashya

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 12:32:59 am »
I payed $18, and that person is highly trusted 500+ feeback on only ancient coins.

mashya

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 12:38:48 am »
http://parthia.com/coins/smit_ely4dr.jpg
http://parthia.com/coins/cc10125.jpg
http://parthia.com/coins/smit_ely4dr.jpg
http://parthia.com/coins/pdc_3522.jpg

Yes,  you're right i thought it was orodes since the seller said it was.
Here are some of the coins that look like mine the 1st and 3rd look like it the most

By the way isn't this a billion tetrarachm?

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 02:18:18 am »
The ones you chose from parthia.com are earlier than yours.  The parthia.com coins still have a very recognizable bust on the reverse.  With time this must slowly becomes a collection of lines.  Yours is more toward the later types than the ones you have chosen.

As for being billon, it is most like that, but the silver content is so low, it might as will pure copper or bronze.

Forgot to mention that Sear lists it as Kamnaskire VI(?).  These later rulers of the Kamnaskire's line are very difficult to tell apart, and no one really knows how many there really were.

As for the price you paid, that is a very good price for a tetradrachm.  But again, with the bad reverse, you will have a tough time if you ever decide to resell it.

mashya

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 03:04:35 am »
Thanks, i just wanted to add a tetradrachm to my Persian collection.
So you're sure this is Kamnaskire?

Thanks

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 05:15:05 am »
Yes and no, about it being sure it is Kamnaskire IV (or C or D).  It depends on whose timeline you use.  Bell has done a revision of the king's names and the time they ruled.  I don't have Bell at hand right now, so I am not sure what ruler he is assigning these coins to.

If you use Sear or de Morgan (which Sear is based on), than yes it is one of the kings called Kamnaskire.  It is just not certain which one or even how many kings used that name.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity