Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Antoninus Pius fourrée  (Read 989 times)

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
Antoninus Pius fourrée
« on: May 24, 2006, 07:00:14 am »
I want to share with you this Antoninus Pius fourrée from rather nice style:

Antoninus Pius fourrée Denarius, official type minted 140-143 AD at Rome.
Obv: ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P TR P, laureate head right.
Rev: APOLLINI AVGVSTO, Apollo standing front, head left, holding patera and lyre.
Ø 17 mm, 2.75 g
cf. RIC 63b for official type

Interestingly, the obverse legend ends on P P TR P while it ends on P P TR P COS III on the official type (see 2nd pic). Otherwise, the counterfeiter did a pretty good job, IMO.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

elmele

Re: Antoninus Pius fourrée
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 03:01:50 pm »
Hello,

Steal this post because earlier this year acquired a fouree denarius of Antoninus Pius. In my opinion share die reverse, but no die obverse. Funny thing, no?

Thanks for your attention,

Fernando

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
Re: Antoninus Pius fourrée
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 09:37:03 pm »
Hello,

Steal this post because earlier this year acquired a fourree denarius of Antoninus Pius. In my opinion share die reverse, but no die obverse. Funny thing, no?

Thanks for your attention,

Fernando

Interesting Fernando. Not often one finds a foree die match!! Very Nice! It is simply amazing the style difference between the forgery and the real deal - the real Pivs bust is amazing, very artistic!

Well, I suppose that if you are going to forge one denarius you might as well go for broke and forge 2 or heck let's splurge and mint a 100, the penalty for getting caught would be the same.

c.rhodes

All coins are guaranteed for eternity